scours

Help Support CattleToday:

totalloss

Reaction score
[l
ist] I HAVE A 9 MONTH OLD BRANGUS HEIFER WITH DIARRIEA.
SHE HAS BEEN THIS WAY FOR SEVERAL WEEKS.NOT DEHYDRATED OR ANY OTHER SYMPTOMS,JUST VERY WATERY STOOLS.I HAVE DEWORMED.HER MKOTHER ALSO GOT THIS WAY BEFORE WEANING. [/list]

I was going to get on this site this morning and ask about the same thing but totalloss beat me to it. I have the same thing happening with an 20 mo old Longhorn Heifer of mine. On pasture, mineral block, a little skittish and heavy bred. Any help would be appreciated.

2 cases of scours.both with the same symptoms. go to your vet an tell him what your problen is.an he should give you shots for the scours.we used to use atropeene for the scours from our vet.but they may use something else now.scott

Thanks for the advise. Any problem giving scour medicine to a heavy bred heifer? What happens if this goes on untreated?

How lush is your pasture? Lush pasture in the fall is just as bad as it is in the spring for giving cows the squirts. Since we finally had some rain and the grass started growing, ours are squirting 10 feet behind them and it's splashing when it hits the ground, or your feet if your close enough.
If they don;t act like they're bothered by it, eyes are bright, ears are up and they're eating, I'ld leave well enough alone.

dun

Well, I wouldn't call my pasture lush. In the blacklands of Central Texas right now we are in a severe drought situation. I do have a few patches of green native grass in the bottom but I am thinking these Hiefers are starting to nibble on weeds, ground cover, and what ever else that looks green. I also put out a few range cubes twice a week and some coastal hay. This heifer is always the first to feed and bright eyed as can be. I may just keep an eye on her for another week or 2 and see if she starts showing any other ill signs. I am also thinking the stale water in the pond may be contributing but, looks like all the Hiefers would have it if it was the water.

Latest posts