Scours treatment and Milk energizer

Help Support CattleToday:

Shawnpompa

Reaction score
I am seeking information on the proper treatment of scoured deacon dairy calves and also the introduction a milk energizer (fat supplement) to the mixture of milk replacer. I am have a debate with a coworker about the proper treatment of scours. This individual tells me I should be feeding them a straight electrolytes and no milk at all. This particular electrolyte solution only consists of high content of sodium chloride, potassium and basically vitamin C. No proteins or fat edible fat content what so ever. I strongly disagree and would like some others opinions on this. This individual also believes that when they become ill, colds, respiratory, etc.. that milk should be cut back as well. I have researched and found that the energy derived from milk feeding help give the calf energy to burn to help fight off the illness. I have read that a calf uses so much energy to produce body heat to keep body temp up and to grow, if feed is withheld and energy is used to keep body temp up and to fight sickness then the calf will not only not grow but essentially starve. That may be extreme but in cold temps like we face where I live it sounds accurate to me. On to the milk energizer. I have read that for every degree below 40 the feed should increase by 1% to give the calf the energy it needs to keep its body temp up and grow and have reserves for fighting off illness. I have read this is not such a good method and the introduction of a supplement like milk energizer can be used to increase fat and protein intake. Well I had a heated debate with my coworker this morning because I mix this supplement into this mornings feed according to the temp/mix sheet that comes with the product. We face temps below 20 for the next 4 or 5 days and this individual tells me it should be gradually/slowly added each day until the digestive system gets used to this. This actually sounds right to me however I've read the calves digestive system works rather quickly and the extra boost of energy given by the supplement is actually used rather quickly. Please some advice from others who have experience dealing with deacons. For me its not about being right and winning a debate but seeing that the right things is done here for the benefit of the calves.

Not familar with "fat energizer" but mix and feed the milk replacer according to directions. (note the size of your calf it's important) Do not add extra milk replacer to the water or you just get more scours. Make water available although it probably won't drink much for awhile. Use a very good "all milk" milk replacer.

I have never heard of cutting milk to help a calf grow. That's where all his nutrients are coming from. Feed him milk according to the label. For scours. Add pedialyte to the bottle(for kids, available at grocery store). Old woman told me once to add tomato juice. Never tried it. Couldn't hurt. I know I'm gonna get hammered for this, but 10cc of baytril will knock scours out overnight. I haven't used it for this in years. But it's better than letting one die.

I remove milk if for a several of feedings and use electrolyte only with scours . as long as its feed related scours. when starting calves I use 1/2 amount of replacer full amount of water each feeding and increase the number of feedings forxa couple days. Gradually getting to recommended amount. I dont know wth a deacon calf is tho.

M-5":4c8lnu0c said:
I remove milk if for a several of feedings and use electrolyte only with scours . as long as its feed related scours. when starting calves I use 1/2 amount of replacer full amount of water each feeding and increase the number of feedings forxa couple days. Gradually getting to recommended amount. I dont know wth a deacon calf is tho.

Don't reckon I ever owned one either. :lol2:

Latest posts