scouring

Help Support CattleToday:

What do you folks think of the milk replacer im using? :wave:
I think they are over there scour now, but they look drawn up, or very thin. When I gave electros in a bottle, they seemed to scour even more.
I put electos in a bucket, free choice to see if that would help them.

Thank You
Billy :tiphat:

I put my pointer arrow thingy on you smiley face above, and it says neutral, that doesn't tell me anything. And yes I read the other posts.
Brother, you should add patience is a virtue in your spiritual quote slogan. Just a suggestion. :tiphat: :heart: And yes my spelling and grammer is bad.

Thank You
Billy :tiphat: :heart:

I know you said they are almost over the scours and this topic is pretty old now but I want to give me 2 cents on this topic in case it comes up again because we had a bottle fed calf that would always get the scours when she would be tied to close to a pear tree. We give a scours pill and then give 12 CCs of Spectam. 6 in the hip and 6 in the mouth. We just did this yesterday to my uncles bottle fed calf. I haven't heard about if it cleared up or not but based on experience i would say it did. The spectam pretty much does the trick without the scours pill if need be. I don't know if i believe giving the electrolytes to clear it up or not but it does give them energy to keep going....my uncle was giving the electrolytes to this calf and the scours wasn't clearing up. I just wanted to share what we do....maybe it will help someone in the future.

The electrolytes are vital to replace the fluids - and electrolytes - being lost through the scouring process.
It may well seem like the electrolytes make the scours worse. Persist with them anyway, even on electrolyte feeding only the dung will firm up as they recover.

regolith":37pwv3h6 said:
The electrolytes are vital to replace the fluids - and electrolytes - being lost through the scouring process.
It may well seem like the electrolytes make the scours worse. Persist with them anyway, even on electrolyte feeding only the dung will firm up as they recover.

I understand what your saying and I don't disagree and I don't have a problem with giving the electrolytes when they get the scours. But it doesn't seem like it clears the scours up by itself and if it does it takes a while. Giving the scour pill and the Spectam clears it up pretty much the next day. Very rarely we have to treat two days in a row after doing this. If I have a calf with the scours I would want it to get over it as fast as possible not wait for the electrolytes to work after 4 or 5 days or a week. Just my opinion on the matter not bashing at all.

Latest posts