Scour question....

Help Support CattleToday:

Farmer Kevin

Reaction score
I have a calf that is 6 days old and noticed tonight that she has a white scour. Been told by neighbors that it could be coccideouses, ecoli, or to much milk. The calf is still very alert and is running around, but still worried about that scour. Another question is that the mom appears to be getting more milk in her utter, not tight, but more than when she calved is this normal?

Thanks in advance

Just a guess but it sounds like milk scours to me. A cow will increase production from calving till a couple of weekspost calving, some a little longer. If she has much more milk then the calf needs/wants her production will taper off.

Farmer Kevin":2orxb2i3 said:
What treatment would you do for the calf?

I agree that it's most likely milk scours. Watch the calf to make sure that he continues to feel good. If he makes a turn for the worse contact a vet. There are others on this board that know a lot about baby calves. Maybe they will chime in.

As long as he i energetic and continues to take milk he will likely be ok. It never hurts to have scour medicine on hand. The main treatment for scours is fluids, Deliver is a popular product. I'm like the others, sounds like milk scours, but if it worsens be ready to take action. Some over the counter medicines I like for bacterial scours are Scour Halt and Vetisulid, otherwise you'll have to contact your vet.

Larry

Sounds like milk scours my calves usually get it a couple of weeks after calving i dont do any thing about it unless the calf goes off feed then give electrolytes and a sulfa bolus or two. if it was coccsiosis there would be blood in the scour. everything will be alright if the calf keeps sucking and lively.

Farmer Kevin":e5y4o87q said:

If it was needed, we used 2 Terramycin tablets. This sounds like milk scours to me, and treatment will likely not be needed.

Farmer Kevin":2bl5v45j said:
None unless it gets to the projectile stage where it doesn;t hit the forund until it's a foot or two behind it or it starts acting puny. Then I would give a dose of Septra (sulfamethoxazole/trimethoprim). Otherwise benign neglect.

Latest posts