Scotch Broom-

Help Support CattleToday:

susie

Reaction score
I have alot of Scotchbroom in my pasture, mixed in with the grass. I've been keping it short, mowing the pasture after the cows graze it. I'd like to get rid of it without losing the grass. Does anyone have recomendations? It's not that big of a pasture I could selectively apply weedkiller if I had something like a stick with a swab at the end,( anyone seen something like this?) but I'd like to find something less labor intensive if there is anything.

Thanks!
Susie

Here is what you want Susie. It is kind of primative technology but it works well and costs very little (as far as machinery goes). I have one and it works well. I just got finished wicking 40 acres of Johnson grass that had overwhelmed a bermuda field. Johnson grass is toast. I am assuming scotch grass is a sedge or something tall. If not this won't help . It has to be 6" or so above the crop.

Ollie-
Did you mean to post an image or a link? Wicking sounds about right.... ?

Scotch broom is a woody stemmed bush that has bright yellow flowers and seed pods that look like peas. Grows about 6 feet tall, in really thick stands.Non-native, introduced.
Susie

Thanks Ollie! That's a great idea--- run something across the tall weeds in the pasture after the cows get done grazing-hmmmm looks easy enough to improvise... and you're right, not too expensive as far as equipment goes.
Appreciate the link,
Susie

susie":31sl69i5 said:
I have alot of Scotchbroom in my pasture, mixed in with the grass. I've been keping it short, mowing the pasture after the cows graze it. I'd like to get rid of it without losing the grass. Does anyone have recomendations? It's not that big of a pasture I could selectively apply weedkiller if I had something like a stick with a swab at the end,( anyone seen something like this?) but I'd like to find something less labor intensive if there is anything.

Thanks!
Susie

In western WA we ripped it out and burned it. I couldn;t believe it that not that many years ago in Seattle they were selling the stuff in pots to be planted as landscaping.

dun

They still sell the damm stuff in pots! People like the pretty yellow flowers...
"Crossbow" works real good to kill it.

Now does anyone know the best way to get rid of Brackin fern?
seems the more I spray,mow,chop,pull,burn the more it grows

mowing and burning wont help any. spraying might. they are poisonous but only at a certain stage i think, or else my cows have built up an immunity to them.