Schooley Stand out

Help Support CattleToday:

BEJ

Reaction score
Has anyone used standout and how do you like the calves? Gonna ai my whole heard of 60 to hooks broadway but thinking about doing 5 to standout to potentially save a bull or two to hold back and use next year as cleanups

I have not used Standout. Being a young bull, there are only 30 calves recorded so far with ASA. But wondering what your thinking is about using Broadway on the whole herd? Broadway is one of those bulls that ended up being a different genetic outcome than his sire and dam would indicate. Broadway's sire is fairly average in calving ease, birthweight and growth. Pretty high maternal calving ease. His dam is very much calving ease, low birth weight, high maternal CE, lower growth. Broadway initially had a more moderate set of EPD's. But after heavy use and lots of progeny, his epd's changed a lot. High growth and low calving ease. Early on, I suspect he was used as an example of how epd's can't be trusted. But with more data, I think his epds now reflect his genetics. Have you used Broadway before? Probably not suitable to use on heifers.

I have not used Standout. Being a young bull, there are only 30 calves recorded so far with ASA. But wondering what your thinking is about using Broadway on the whole herd? Broadway is one of those bulls that ended up being a different genetic outcome than his sire and dam would indicate. Broadway's sire is fairly average in calving ease, birthweight and growth. Pretty high maternal calving ease. His dam is very much calving ease, low birth weight, high maternal CE, lower growth. Broadway initially had a more moderate set of EPD's. But after heavy use and lots of progeny, his epd's changed a lot. High growth and low calving ease. Early on, I suspect he was used as an example of how epd's can't be trusted. But with more data, I think his epds now reflect his genetics. Have you used Broadway before? Probably not suitable to use on heifers.
No heifers all cows that I'm not worried about calving ease to much…I'm more interested in having a consistent group of feeders to sell in the fall and if I can keep some replacements they would all be half siblings to try and get more consistent with only being able to keep 5-10 heifers a year…my thoughts is use broadway for 2 years than switch to something else that is proven (kind of thinking dikemans surebet but don't know much about him) and see how it goes…I only have 4 registered Simmentals the rest are just commercial

Latest posts