school farms

Help Support CattleToday:

dguess7

Reaction score
I need some help with our ag community. I live in a med. size rural town we have about 45 kids that are in 4-H and several that are in FFA. Most of the kids raise animals atr there own places and show at the local and county shows only. I would like to get the FFA Booster Club (Parents and Teachers) and the 4-H to start a Ag Farm. there is land avalaible at the school. We already have a nice size show barn with a nice concession area, for our local show and other events. I would also like to get the kids more involved in showing at jackpot shows and have been able to get a few to go and they are hooked on going to as many shows as possible.
I would like ideas and any input that anyone has, I need to have a plan before I really start pushing for the Ag Farm I have a few people that believe that it would be a great idea and wil do what they can to support this effort. I would like to know how other schools have started this and what resources they used such as funding and how big to lay out pens.
I was thinking of suggesting that the Ag-Farm charge each child that has a animal at the farm $75 to $100 per school year to help off set the water, electric and cost of pens.

thanks,

Dan

at our school, no one has to pay for keeping their animals at the ag farm, however only hogs can be housed. we are fixing to add on to the ag farm. we have a really good sup. and principal so things get passed at the school board rather easily. funding comes from the school budget.

At ours we dont pay to rent pens or any of that. We put down a deposit on the pens and get that money back after the sale and after the pen is cleaned out. Just a way to make sure kids dont take off and not clean their pens out for the summer. If someone doesnt clean the pen, then another can clean it and get that kids deposit.

I dont know about costs of upkeep, our school pays for the electric, and we have a well that all the water comes from, so its really cheap to keep up. As for getting started, my suggestion would be to hit up as many businesses/rich people and explain what your trying to do and get people to give some money.

your ffa program should have an AG committee and on that committee should be people like administrators, agribusinessmen, bankers, etc. you should approach the committee and see if they have any ideas to get funding. (ex. donations from local tractor company). maybe you could get on the committee and get the ball rolling.

Latest posts