Scary experience

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
We had our bred heifers and last season heifers with their calves(although separated) in the corrals treating for flies. We ran the 60 head of cows into the corral alleyway to get them in line for the tub and then chute.
This group is flighty. Last spring, they pushed through a fence and before we knew it, they were 5 miles away. Someone called and asked if our cows were out, there were some on highway 37 that looked like ours. I laughed and said, that couldn't be our cows as I turned to look in their pasture.. I was like, SH!+.... We got them all back, but this group had done this kind of thing several times. They get out, they take off....
Anywho, we had them in the alleyway, its about 15 ft wide and 60 ft long, approx.. I saw one push into the group making her way to the other end once they were all locked in the alley. That set off something in the rest that turned and did the same. By the time they could go no further, there were some on the ground, I could hear wheezing, heads were stuck through the fence, legs poking out everywhere. It was darn scary how packed tight they were and the ones in the back just kept pushing.. I know a few of them have knots on their heads where we whacked them till they backed off. Luckily we didn't lose any, but it was seconds away from some croaking. We got a few of them separated and closed a gate(there are 3 gates in the alleyway) and the bigger group did it again. I looked over at them and saw no one on the ground so we ignored them. It seemed worse when we went over there..
The rest of the time we had to be very careful any time we got in there to run some into the tub. These are not crazy cattle. I just don't know what or why they seem to be prone to being flighty.... My FIL one time got caught in that situation and luckily got high enough on the fence to keep from getting crushed. THis was maybe 20 years ago and a different set of corrals, but since, this is the first time its happened.. Really thinking about retiring and planting our pasture in trees.

"Flighty" cattle = "Crazy" cattle in my book. Just got rid of a couple girls who were just too risky to have around... especially trying to work them. I believe one should always be careful when working cattle, I just try to mitigate the risk a little bit by not having cattle that will spook and become unpredictable (dangerous) at any given time!

I'm glad I'm it turned out okay, but if they were mine and had broken out and traveled five miles they wouldn't have come back and had another chance.

When it comes to cattle, the only thing worse than a hungry cow, is a bored cow. These are very docile cattle. I believe there is a bad egg in the group and I hope to have her number. BUt it should be a lesson to everyone that just because you think you know your cattle, crap happens.

Just like I can tell a banded calf from a knife cut calf I can tell a crazy cow that's messing up the bunch. Not that hard to do. Or if it's the whole bunch sell them all.

kenny thomas":1zxo43cz said:
Just like I can tell a banded calf from a knife cut calf I can tell a crazy cow that's messing up the bunch. Not that hard to do. Or if it's the whole bunch sell them all.

These are very docile cattle Kenny, they only run 5 miles away, don't test the fences or stampede.

True Grit Farms":3py241bi said:
kenny thomas":3py241bi said:

These are very docile cattle Kenny, they only run 5 miles away, don't test the fences or stampede.
Why yes, had they been wild they would go have gone 10 miles and this time would have torn the fence down and maybe killed someone.
Good thing there's only one bad one in this bunch.

True Grit Farms":109yi000 said:
kenny thomas":109yi000 said:

That's where the number of cows you deal with matters. The more you have, the more you'll see. And its one thing to always remember when dealing with a large group of animals, never let down your guard. These are our replacements. YOu don't throw out the baby with the bathwater. BUt, I can see how its easy for people who don't do it for a living to think you can just start over.

callmefence":3p9no29e said:
Dam. You scared the he// oughta me.
I thought you saw highgrit in the bank parking lot
Now that would be scary, but not as scary as if I had seen 5M, hes actually threatened me because you know, i'm so bad.

Rafter S":33wcfv3a said:
I didn't realize that large operations can't cull because of docility issues. Carry on.
Some are saying all should be sold. This wasn't a violent event. We've had it happen before years ago with some older cows. The room in the pen was about 90% take up. They started shifting to one end and it didn't stop...

Some of the happiest experiences of my life have involved closing the trailer door behind an animal that made my life harder than it needed to be.

jkwilson":3gepxtxd said:
Some of the happiest experiences of my life have involved closing the trailer door behind an animal that made my life harder than it needed to be.
Lol, we sold a mule once that I had the exact feeling. We all did a dance when he left.
These girls have been culled numerous times to this point. I saw one push through the others but not sure if that is a sellable offence. THey were all moving around just like any other time cows are penned. It wasn't a violent stampede, more like at a concert and people want closer but forget that the people in front have nowhere to go...

I'm blaming it on operator error. We had a long narrow pen stuffed full of cows. We actually felt safe packing them in, although had no idea it would happen, that they are very docile girls. And since some are heifers, they don't know the drill yet when it comes to corral work. But its just a experience told in hopes others learn by it.

Latest posts