Saw something really neat today

Help Support CattleToday:

Z&J Cattle

Reaction score
I went to the farm after church today to start on a new fence and when I pulled into the gate, I scanned the cows to count them. I noticed that one cow (the last one we were waiting on to calve for this season) was getting up and lying back down repeatedly, and turning around and around. I figured that she must be getting ready to calve. I kept my distance so not to bother her. She would stand and push then lay back down. After probably less than two minutes of this (at least while I was there anyway) she rolled over onto her side and out came the calf! That is the coolest thing that I have ever seen! I am so glad that I got to be there to see it. He was standing up within 10 minutes and nursing within 15. Just thought I would share that.

Zach

That is a very cool thing to see. I love watching the new babies trying to figure out how to get their legs under control, it's absolutely hilarious! :lol: :lol:

It is pretty cool to see them calve. I was in 1 of our big paddocks about a month ago and I realised that one of our cows were calving, and all of a sudden the calf came out. There was nothing then...a calf was on the ground.

That is the greatest thing to see. I remember when I would get home and my husband would say we had a new calf today. I would get so mad because i wanted to see it. Finally the last 2 of the year I got to see and had my camera ready. It's the best.

Z&J Cattle":14b2bw7k said:
I went to the farm after church today to start on a new fence and when I pulled into the gate, I scanned the cows to count them. I noticed that one cow (the last one we were waiting on to calve for this season) was getting up and lying back down repeatedly, and turning around and around. I figured that she must be getting ready to calve. I kept my distance so not to bother her. She would stand and push then lay back down. After probably less than two minutes of this (at least while I was there anyway) she rolled over onto her side and out came the calf! That is the coolest thing that I have ever seen! I am so glad that I got to be there to see it. He was standing up within 10 minutes and nursing within 15. Just thought I would share that.

Zach

It is a sight to see. I'm glad you were able to see it. One day I was coming in from town and a mini van was pulled off beside the road just north of my house. As I came on pas it, I realized the people had walked to the fence to watch a cow have her calf. They turned out to be some home schoolers. Their mom (teacher) said she hoped we didn't mind that she used this opportunity for a biology lesson! The cow didn't mind, so I didn't either.