SAV Rainfall

Help Support CattleToday:

hornedfrogbbq

Reaction score
Rainfall seems to be almost the least talked about of the Charlo/4136 sons. Select has him on page one of their fall catalog but I don't hear alot about him. Anyone have any pictures of calves from him or any experience?

We went to the McKellar sale a couple of weeks back and they had Resource, Raindance and Renown heifers and bulls. We really liked the look of the Renowns but he didn't have any Rainfall calves that I can remember.

Sidebar: Do all of these studs (Resource, Renown, Raindance, Rainfall, Supercharger, President, etc.) still reside up on the SAV ranch or are they all over the nation?

hornedfrogbbq said:
Rainfall seems to be almost the least talked about of the Charlo/4136 sons. Select has him on page one of their fall catalog but I don't hear alot about him. Anyone have any pictures of calves from him or any experience?

We went to the McKellar sale a couple of weeks back and they had Resource, Raindance and Renown heifers and bulls. We really liked the look of the Renowns but he didn't have any Rainfall calves that I can remember.

Sidebar: Do all of these studs (Resource, Renown, Raindance, Rainfall, Supercharger, President, etc.) still reside up on the SAV ranch or are they all over the nation?

Most of there breeding rights are owned by Schaffs. They sold around 80 percent interest of their Semen Sales, but kept the spring/ summer breeding rights on a lot of those bulls.

Rainfall is definitely really popular. He is the most CE. He seems to breed more similar to his sire Charlo. We don't have any Rainfall progeny. We used President and Raindance. Extremely happy with both. I'm sure Rainfalls will be good also.

We have about 75 President calves coming this spring. I am super excited about them coming and getting a peek at how he "jicks" with our cows.

I have had a heck of a time this year trying to keep the records correct on all the brothers and half brothers not only are they named alike they have numbers that are close which blows my mind a bit trying to keep the paper work straight. Our first due date wasn't until Sept 27th so all of the calves we have on the ground so far are still pretty young. I will also say up front that our calves on average are 10.5 pounds lighter at birth this year than in past years. At least at this stage that is the average lighter they are over last years calf crop. I can't say this is making me happy, I like all of our calves to be in the 70 to 85# range. The heat and dry this year has taken a toll and I think we are seeing it in the calf weights. We have calves out of the following bulls on the ground, everything left to calve will be herd sire calves.

8 Coleman Charlo calves average birth weight of 61.75 pounds

9 Rainfall calves average birth weight of 66.88 pounds
3 Raindance calves average birth weight of 73.33 pounds
4 Reign calves average birth weight of 75.5 pounds

7 Renown calves average birth weight of 63.28 pounds
5 Resource calves average birth weight of 72 pounds

I used other bulls but this is the group that were in the discussion. The only thing wrong with them at this point is they need to put some grow on, I have to keep reminding myself they are growing good just started out light.

I have 6 really nice SAV Abundance calves on the ground they have a average birth weight of 66.5 pounds.

I have one SAV Extension I only had one egg out of the flush and it took so pretty excited to see how this calf develops the calf looks a bit odd very light colored but a really nice calf. Birth weight 66 pounds.

I also have a couple Bruin Torque's that I like a lot I have used up all the semen I had on this bull but think I need to get some more he is the real deal, one of our yearling bulls that keeps catching my eye is a Torque son. I will have a better idea about him when we work the yearling heifers this week. The bull is offering a lot of mass and depth.

gizmom

I've thought about asking for info on Rainfall myself. Been thinking about AI'ing a few to a Angus bull and he's been at the top of the list. Probably breed a few heifers so like the calving ease. Also sounds like he's a good footed bull. Hopefully disposition is good? I think I seen somewhere that he was pap tested and scored 37 but only around 6500 feet or so. I've heard Charlo works ok at higher altitudes so Rainfall might work.

gizmom said:
I have had a heck of a time this year trying to keep the records correct on all the brothers and half brothers not only are they named alike they have numbers that are close which blows my mind a bit trying to keep the paper work straight. Our first due date wasn't until Sept 27th so all of the calves we have on the ground so far are still pretty young. I will also say up front that our calves on average are 10.5 pounds lighter at birth this year than in past years. At least at this stage that is the average lighter they are over last years calf crop. I can't say this is making me happy, I like all of our calves to be in the 70 to 85# range. The heat and dry this year has taken a toll and I think we are seeing it in the calf weights. We have calves out of the following bulls on the ground, everything left to calve will be herd sire calves.

8 Coleman Charlo calves average birth weight of 61.75 pounds

9 Rainfall calves average birth weight of 66.88 pounds
3 Raindance calves average birth weight of 73.33 pounds
4 Reign calves average birth weight of 75.5 pounds

7 Renown calves average birth weight of 63.28 pounds
5 Resource calves average birth weight of 72 pounds

I used other bulls but this is the group that were in the discussion. The only thing wrong with them at this point is they need to put some grow on, I have to keep reminding myself they are growing good just started out light.

I have 6 really nice SAV Abundance calves on the ground they have a average birth weight of 66.5 pounds.

I have one SAV Extension I only had one egg out of the flush and it took so pretty excited to see how this calf develops the calf looks a bit odd very light colored but a really nice calf. Birth weight 66 pounds.

I also have a couple Bruin Torque's that I like a lot I have used up all the semen I had on this bull but think I need to get some more he is the real deal, one of our yearling bulls that keeps catching my eye is a Torque son. I will have a better idea about him when we work the yearling heifers this week. The bull is offering a lot of mass and depth.

gizmom

Really great info! Thanks for sharing.

The temperature in the last 3 months of gestation has a huge impact on birth weights. Gizmom mentioned the Heat last summer and I would expect that may be the reason for her lighter birth weights. Don't expect the same results when calving in the cold up north. I so often read comments on here where someone thinks 85 pounds is large. When we calve in the cold rain/snow in Oregon in February, the mid 80's are the little calves. I think some of those who estimate their calves at 70 pounds, might be surprised if the put them on a scale. 85 pounds looks tiny next to a 1300 to 1400 pound cow.

I went to a sale last week where they sold both bulls that were mostly born in August and others who were mostly born in February. The August bulls had birth weights in the 60 to 78 pound range while those born in February were almost all above 85 pounds with many in the high 90's. These calves were sired by the same bulls and the cows were all from a long term reputation herd and were similar in bloodlines and EPD's.

I am convinced he heat is the issue as far as birth weights. We have not changed anything as far as management and some of the matings are exactly the same just 10 to 15 pounds lighter. We were breaking heat records on a daily basis sand trust me it is always hot but the past few months have been horrible. That being said you have to consider enviornment we weigh every calf so the weights are real but for Florida think sauna!

Gizmom

I actually think Governor is the least talked about son from that flush. I've seen alot of president calves and a few rainfall but the one Governor blew them out of the water in looks and performance.

Latest posts