Santa Gertrudis + / -

Help Support CattleToday:

Scat_Right

Reaction score
I am new to the cattle business, and need a bull for my small herd. Have a lady near buy that has a pasture full of Santa Gertrudis and I am envious.

I need to know the good and the bad about this breed. Can anyone help?

My dream is to have 30 - 40 head of these beautiful red cows.

Let me know if I'm crazy.

Thanks,

Scat

When I was young, my grandpa had a Gert. bull. That' the only experience I've had with em. Lots of folks here that can offer better advice than I could anyway. Good luck. :cboy:

well most gerts have too much hide & too framey if i used gerts cows i would use something like hereford or gelbvieh bulls they make a pretty decent calf. gert cows are good momas good milkers. but have got a attitude. and will check your back pockets when you get around them babies like brangus. too me those two are the worst of the bra influance with the temperment from my experiance.

ALACOWMAN":8jmjtwet said:
well most gerts have too much hide & too framey if i used gerts cows i would use something like hereford or gelbvieh bulls they make a pretty decent calf. gert cows are good momas good milkers. but have got a attitude. and will check your back pockets when you get around them babies like brangus. too me those two are the worst of the bra influance with the temperment from my experiance.

Differences in experiences. I've found the gerts to be among the calmest of the Brahman influenced cattle. They make a spectacular cross with Angus, either color. Only problem I've ever had with them was calf stealing. Just work them slow and easy and they're pretty easy to handle. It was working gerts and gert crosses that taught me that yahoo and hurry don;t work

dun

they can definitely be testy and some have fertility issues.

other than that they make great mothers.

well never seen them crossed with angus but im sure its a good cross. had a friend that used too buy my herf bulls when i was through with um to use on his commercial gerts made some good calves .i liked the replacements he got from that cross,now those would be the ones i would like to use the angus bulls on .your right dun bra cattle will school you in handling technics pretty fast ;-)

ALACOWMAN":2b3usl97 said:
well never seen them crossed with angus but im sure its a good cross. had a friend that used too buy my herf bulls when i was through with um to use on his commercial gerts made some good calves .i liked the replacements he got from that cross,now those would be the ones i would like to use the angus bulls on

*cough* beefmaster!*cough*

Beefy":gpdpvmlf said:
ALACOWMAN":gpdpvmlf said:
well never seen them crossed with angus but im sure its a good cross. had a friend that used too buy my herf bulls when i was through with um to use on his commercial gerts made some good calves .i liked the replacements he got from that cross,now those would be the ones i would like to use the angus bulls on

Beefy i would choke too if i said beefmaster :cboy:

I had a few PB gerts and I loved them, the only problem I had with them was that as soon as you started the tractor they would come running to the gate so they could get the first bite of the round bale. If I didn't get docked so much for them I would still have them.

tuck":2f72bxbn said:
I had a few PB gerts and I loved them, the only problem I had with them was that as soon as you started the tractor they would come running to the gate so they could get the first bite of the round bale.
  • If I didn't get docked so much
for them I would still have them.
and there in lies the problem

Beefy":3qpb4wcm said:
ALACOWMAN":3qpb4wcm said:

The big commercial outfit I'm at has a few purebred herds for replacement stock. One of them is a beefmaster herd. I grow more fond of them everytime I look at them. The bulls are doing an outstanding job of covering the commercial herds. The butts on the calves are unmatched. The cows are hauling gallons of milk at all times. Only one wild woman in the bunch of a couple hundred. Bulls all gentle.

Bought a few Gerts many years ago and really liked them, excellent mothers, relatively calm (although I did buy a Gert Bull once that nearly turned the trailer over) and they are exceptional on the grill. However, as previously mentioned and especially in the east, most buyers do not care that much for "big eared" cattle.
It's really unfortunate because Gerts take the heat really well and don't seem to mind the snow drifts either.

Bullbuyer":1rfcuwdk said:
However, as previously mentioned and especially in the east, most buyers do not care that much for "big eared" cattle.
Don't you cook the ear the same as you cook the tongue. Rare to Medium Rare. This way you don't need any steak sauce.

The ears aint so much the problem with the brah. cross its the narrow a$$. but with the right cross they can have both. you see alot of the wrong choices made on these eared calves.thats why they get such a bum rap. not using the brahman influance for there positive traits. but compounding there negative.with the wrong bull.

This goes back to the time right after they invented dirt Uncle used to run a large herd of Gerts. I only heard make one complaint and it was with fertility about slow to breed back.

Back in my younger years Uncle told my cousin and I to mop the bull for flies we mixed the stuff a little stought bull died.
He had paid something like 3000 bucks for that bull, that was big money in the late 50's. We know a little more about Bramer influenced cattle now.

Latest posts