San Antonio TX

Help Support CattleToday:

Nowland Farms

Reaction score
Flying down to San Antonio in a couple weeks to see BIL for a couple of days b4 he leaves for Afghanstan. Can anyone who is familiar with the area, give me some insite to the areas I need to consider when looking for a place to stay? I think somewhere close to I35 coming from Ft Hood and close to the tourist area downtown. We are looking for a safe area.

Also when there what should we do? I was there about 12 years ago and saw the Alamo, Riverwalk and a place called Howl at the Moon on the Riverwalk. Plan on hitting these places again.

If there are any youngsters along, try "Fiesta Texas". They have a pretty good roller coaster :nod:

Just start at Howl at the moon and go from there. If you like history there are 6 or 8 old spanish mission scatter. Drive up the road to Gruene and enjoy "Gruene Hall" with some great dancing and cold beer.

Try the Menger Hotel. Right next to the Alamo. Teddy Roosevelt hung out there, along with some other notables. Very charming. Good coffee shop.

The missions are interesting. Of course, you'll want to see the Alamo. There is also a good marketplace. You can take the trolly, (an open bus, really...) all around for cheap if you get a day pass. Nice way to see the town. And do the horse carriage through the King Edward neighborhood. Very romantic, especially in the evenings. My husband and his cousin restrored some of this historic homes there.

Latest posts