Salebarn 9-21

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
Cows were off here today
Slaughter cow's bringing .56 to .76
Slaughter bulls .75 to .88
I hauled one crazy 4 wt heifer today brought 1.75
Other calves hauled today in the same weight range for others brought 1.25 to 1.75
Cows run through today in poor shape for the most part due to drought.
Seen three good brangus heifers go for 600 a piece about 7 wt's.
Just no back to farm buyers due to range conditions.

Your back to farm type of cows may start coming north. Here the cow market is great, everyone has more grass than they have had in a while and hay is so cheap it's not worth selling.

Denver is right about the cows will be coming north. About 2 months ago, there were a lot of Texas cattle coming up here and there were ads by cattle dealers advertising complete herds coming from Texas. The ads said cattle starved, but healthy, had been running with bulls, but sold as is with no preg check. When I called, they said they were british breeds with ear and from 2-6 years old and 800 dollars each plus delivery. I didn't think I wanted to do that. Now, the take home market here is crazy high, seems to me. Any kind of junk pair will bring 1400-1600 dollars and I can't remember when I saw even a junk bred cow bring under 1,000 dollars. So, with those prices in the drought areas, they will be shipping them up here any minute, now.

thats what droughts do they keep junk pairs an bred cows going back to the herds.an those type of cows should have their heads cut off.

Packer cows and bulls were cheaper Saturday here as well. One packer buyer told me that Martin Meats in North Carolina closed. He said that FPL in Augusta, GA, Central Beef in FL and a couple of other packers east of the Mississippi River are getting covered up with cows. We send a lot of cows in East Texas back east to get slaughtered.

Our calf market was higher than the week before.

BC":285dg18b said:
Packer cows and bulls were cheaper Saturday here as well. One packer buyer told me that Martin Meats in North Carolina closed. He said that FPL in Augusta, GA, Central Beef in FL and a couple of other packers east of the Mississippi River are getting covered up with cows. We send a lot of cows in East Texas back east to get slaughtered.

That's kinda the same here, I have 2 friends that buy for central and there slowed way down.

BC":ojgm6hhb said:

That is true abut Martin Meats closing and FPL this morning had 1400 cows standing at their plant. 6-10 cents cheaper here on cows.

We have had a little rain and these boys around here think there aint ever going to be another poor day.
I know a guy that bought 20 pairs of black cows in poor condition with small calves from somewhere off east for 1400.00 with the hopes of getting them in shape, breeding them back then selling them and the calves and make a little.
He had them less than a week and sold them locally for 1900.00

Latest posts