Sale Barn Live & Learn

Help Support CattleToday:

Animal Track Farm

Reaction score
Took 2 bottle raised steers to the sale barn on Monday. Been using the sale barn 20 plus years. They were dairy cross one weighed 335 and the other 275. Both fully vaccinated. Got 67.50 & 65.00 / 100lb. Passed up $800 a month ago because I didn't want to haul them 2 hours. I feel I got a bum deal at the sale barn. I could not stay for the sale due to driving a school bus. I have learned to stay next time. Can say no sale. Live and learn.

You have to know your market, The sale barn isn't responsible for the price you received.

Thought I did regular "beef" steers been running around $145 / hundred lbs. I wasn't expecting that much but thought it would be closer to $100/ hundred lbs.

For dairy influence that sounds about right.
That's why I dont fool with em.

Well.....
I do have a half jersey/half hereford bull calf. Perhaps I'll learn the same lesson in a month or so. Idk.
He was bought really cheap tho! Put him on my nurse cow and watched him grow. He looks good!

For dairy influence that sounds about right.
That's why I dont fool with em.

Well.....
I do have a half jersey/half hereford bull calf. Perhaps I'll learn the same lesson in a month or so. Idk.
He was bought really cheap tho! Put him on my nurse cow and watched him grow. He looks good!
First thing is never ever sell a dairy cross bull calf. A steer is much better. I bought 2 Jersey steers last Saturday weighing 960 and 1020. Wouldn't have bid on a Jersey bull calf

First thing is never ever sell a dairy cross bull calf. A steer is much better. I bought 2 Jersey steers last Saturday weighing 960 and 1020. Wouldn't have bid on a Jersey bull calf
I like that idea!
However, immediately after posting above, I forgot the lil fart is already sold. Neighbor wants him to feed out for next year. He will castrate at weaning.
As long as he dont back out, I'll have done ok on him.
It's this one on the left. Does he look dairy?
He should be pushing 400lbs
20210912_142611.jpg20210912_142656.jpg

Drive those dairy steers north. Good 400 lb. Holsteins in groups will bring 1.20. Jerseys still aren't worth much, though.

I like that idea!
However, immediately after posting above, I forgot the lil fart is already sold. Neighbor wants him to feed out for next year. He will castrate at weaning.
As long as he dont back out, I'll have done ok on him.
It's this one on the left. Does he look dairy?
He should be pushing 400lbs
View attachment 8592View attachment 8593
Yes he looks dairy. But a band the day you bought him would have helped. Never ever leave a dairy influence calf a bull.

I actually like Jersey.beef. I gave .65 and .71 per hundred so I doubt the owner made anything at all. They have been fed very well.
Any time you need one, you have Scott's number. I would guess he raising about 30-40 right now. I spoke to him yesterday and told him he should go up on his prices. He is still selling Freezer Beef for $2.50/ hanging weight.

Small groups will bring more then singles here. I used to bottle feed a few steins and would pick singles up to add to the group along as I could. Usually was good for ten bucks a hundred on payweight plus gain.

Good beef calves have been selling well here. But #2 & 3 calves have been selling well off that price. And dairy cross and even a hint of dairy cross are getting the #3 price.

Latest posts