Sale Barn Full

Help Support CattleToday:

Diehard40

Reaction score
Went by the sale barn today and have never seen that many cattle in the barn at one time before.
Drought is hitting us hard.
What gets me though is that price doesn't seem to dropping too bad.
Of Course time will tell

We culled to the bone in the '05 drought. Prices were good because the drought was so localized. Last year there were more widespread areas of drought. This year we haven't had a drought here in this part of the country. I am sure that helps.

If had another 200 head right now, I could feed them. What a difference a year makes.

backhoe
come to SC and i'm sure to GA and AL and i'm sure you could find that 200 head.
better yet just send us some of that rain ya'll have been getting out in TX :)

I'm stock piling the hay right now. The river bottom is beautiful. Offered the hay to several to bale it on the halves. No taker yet. Everyone has hay this year. I'm not going to plant any rye or wheat.

backhoeboogie":1p6k28kr said:
I'm stock piling the hay right now. The river bottom is beautiful. Offered the hay to several to bale it on the halves. No taker yet. Everyone has hay this year. I'm not going to plant any rye or wheat.

I am bushogging pastures that I didn't bale right now bahia has got to high and tough this year.

Diehard40":3f3qe9f5 said:
Went by the sale barn today and have never seen that many cattle in the barn at one time before.
Drought is hitting us hard.
What gets me though is that price doesn't seem to dropping too bad.
Of Course time will tell
Guess I need to modify my trailer a bit. I can haul hay out there, and bring cows back on the backhaul....... :shock:

Guess I need to modify my trailer a bit. I can haul hay out there, and bring cows back on the backhaul.......

I have mulled that over at least 100 times, we paid for half of a Disney trip to Florida with a load of horse hay we hauled to Deltona. I left the trailer (wheels chained together and hitch locked) on the guys place while we were on vacation and picked it up on the way back.

Last week while we were at the beach I took a day trip on Monday the 13th and drove from Panama City FL a couple of hours north to the weekly cattle sale at the Dothan AL Livestock Auction. Eventhough there were only about 30 buyers at the sale, the were alot of cattle being sold. I took time and walked out back on the gangway up above the holding pens. The pens were almost full. I believe they ran over 1,400 head thru the sale. Seems like a lot of cattlemen must have been selling due to the drought. The prices seemed to be holding because of about 1/2 dozen "Professional" buyers were loading up.

Nowland Farms":1chm200u said:
Last week while we were at the beach I took a day trip on Monday the 13th and drove from Panama City FL a couple of hours north to the weekly cattle sale at the Dothan AL Livestock Auction. Eventhough there were only about 30 buyers at the sale, the were alot of cattle being sold. I took time and walked out back on the gangway up above the holding pens. The pens were almost full. I believe they ran over 1,400 head thru the sale. Seems like a lot of cattlemen must have been selling due to the drought. The prices seemed to be holding because of about 1/2 dozen "Professional" buyers were loading up.

Rod, You didn't happen to stop at Southern Cattle Co. down below Dothan did you?

That is one heck of a barn they have there.

I wanted to but didn't 'cause I told the wife I wouldn't be gone all day. As it turns out I was gone most of the day but she didn't care cause the boys had taken her vehicle to Destin and she had the condo by herself.

Just how many miles of Southern Cattle pasture to you ride by on Hwy 231 South ?? It seemed like 3 or 4 miles. And yes the big'ole red barn on the left (headed south) was impressive. I might have to make it one of their sales just to see the place.

Nowland Farms":1ioia3mp said:
I wanted to but didn't 'cause I told the wife I wouldn't be gone all day. As it turns out I was gone most of the day but she didn't care cause the boys had taken her vehicle to Destin and she had the condo by herself.

Just how many miles of Southern Cattle pasture to you ride by on Hwy 231 South ?? It seemed like 3 or 4 miles. And yes the big'ole red barn on the left (headed south) was impressive. I might have to make it one of their sales just to see the place.

I forgot to tell you the Univ. of Florida Bull Test Station is very near Southern Cattle also. They have bulls there now too. :oops:

Mike C,
We were on a trip down around Southern a couple of months ago and stopped by there, that is one heck of a "barn".
we also went by the Florida Research Station. They got some nice facilities as well.

just checked and in fact the barn was full 2300+ head
I can't figure out where all these cattle are coming from

Diehard40":14gmjftg said:
Prolly some of my ole cows in there. They went when we got into the "exceptional drought" conditions last 2 years ago. I guess we trade them back and forth depending on the range conditions.......... :oops: :shock:

Diehard40":1h9l9120 said:

That doesn't seem like many head at all. If you ever sit through the Dublin, TX livestock auction, you can be there up to 16 hours at times.

Hopefully there will be buyers there from this area. I hate to see you folks suffer through a drought and dump stock for low prices. I have been there and it is not a good place to be.

I took a load in yesterday, think the total was 2625 head. Got there just after 7am and had to wait almost 2 hours to unload.

cfpinz

Diehard40":22vaasum said:
Mike C,
We were on a trip down around Southern a couple of months ago and stopped by there, that is one heck of a "barn".
we also went by the Florida Research Station. They got some nice facilities as well.

Haven't put any bulls on test at the FRS in the past few years but last I heard they were gonna add the "weigh" troughs to calculate feed efficiency.

Do you know if they have?

MikeC,
Yeah they have them in
They look like they are doing something right down there to get all that money.
nice facility.

Ky. has been hit hard by drought last wed at sale barn in mt. sterling they had over 1200 head sold till 1:45 in morn prices fell mon. in lee city they had large sell had 1 and 2 trimester. young black cows they couldnt get a bid on . Some folks here are going to make it thru winter having to sell no hay no pasture!

Ky. has been hit hard by drought last wed at sale barn in mt. sterling they had over 1200 head sold till 1:45 in morn prices fell mon. in lee city they had large sell had 1 and 2 trimester. young black cows they couldnt get a bid on . Some folks here are not going to make it thru winter having to sell no hay no pasture!

Latest posts