safeguard wormer

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbull338

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 28, 2005
Messages
16,565
Reaction score
0
Location
texas
i went an priced the safeguard wormer blocks an they are $30ea.alot cheaper than i figured they would be.now i need to decide if i want to worm the herd or wait awhile.they are in bellydeep grass now.
 

KNERSIE

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 16, 2006
Messages
7,058
Reaction score
1
Location
3rd World
bigbull338":ziu576tk said:
i went an priced the safeguard wormer blocks an they are $30ea.alot cheaper than i figured they would be.now i need to decide if i want to worm the herd or wait awhile.they are in bellydeep grass now.

Deworm them now with the best dewormer on the market so that they can utelise the belly deep grass to its full potential. That will make the summer slump much less of a slump.
 

1982vett

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 3, 2008
Messages
9,444
Reaction score
220
Location
Central Texas
KNERSIE":1nxkb8j2 said:
bigbull338":1nxkb8j2 said:
i went an priced the safeguard wormer blocks an they are $30ea.alot cheaper than i figured they would be.now i need to decide if i want to worm the herd or wait awhile.they are in bellydeep grass now.

Deworm them now with the best dewormer on the market so that they can utelise the belly deep grass to its full potential. That will make the summer slump much less of a slump.

What Knersie said. :nod:
 

Jeanne - Simme Valley

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 9, 2004
Messages
12,164
Reaction score
918
Location
Central Upstate New York
I have never tried using the blocks. Safeguard is a good product - but I just can't believe that the cows will UNIFORMLY eat the blocks :shock:
Supposedly, the best time to deworm the cowherd is about 6 weeks after start of grazing. That way they have "gleaned" the worms from the pasture, but the cycle of the worms in the cows have not gotten far enough along for the cow to be shedding eggs.
 

TexasBred

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 15, 2007
Messages
30,730
Reaction score
227
Location
Heart of Texas
Jeanne - Simme Valley":b8oc66gf said:
I have never tried using the blocks. Safeguard is a good product - but I just can't believe that the cows will UNIFORMLY eat the blocks :shock:
Supposedly, the best time to deworm the cowherd is about 6 weeks after start of grazing. That way they have "gleaned" the worms from the pasture, but the cycle of the worms in the cows have not gotten far enough along for the cow to be shedding eggs.

With the blocks there is no real way to determine who got too much and who didn't get enough. I believe it's recommened one block for each 7-8 cows.. "theoretically" they should all get what they need but you just never know. Even if you put out an extra one "big mama" might get most of it. Someone use to make a wormer range cube using fenbendazol (Safeguard) in it which would probably work a little better.
 

Texas Gal

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 20, 2005
Messages
548
Reaction score
0
Location
Montague County, TX
I use the safeguard pelleted wormer. It's easy to use especially when the cows are used to coming to the feed trough, have their pecking order established, etc. We've used the block in the past but always wondered it a couple of boss cows got most of it. At least with the pellets, I can watch them eat it. I usually alternate with Cydectin pour on.
 
OP
B

bigbull338

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 28, 2005
Messages
16,565
Reaction score
0
Location
texas
if i used the feed wormer only a few cows would get that.because the rest of the cows wont eat feed.
 

turklilley

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 4, 2008
Messages
179
Reaction score
0
Location
Central PA
One cow will eat the whole block, that is how mine do it. Mine don't lick it, they chew the corners off. I put 5 blocks out last fall, and I know 5 cows didn't have worms. They do last about 3 hours though. I am going to try something different this summer.
 

TexasBred

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 15, 2007
Messages
30,730
Reaction score
227
Location
Heart of Texas
turklilley":s64v95bw said:
One cow will eat the whole block, that is how mine do it. Mine don't lick it, they chew the corners off. I put 5 blocks out last fall, and I know 5 cows didn't have worms. They do last about 3 hours though. I am going to try something different this summer.


Use something you can measure.
 
OP
B

bigbull338

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 28, 2005
Messages
16,565
Reaction score
0
Location
texas
yes i think you can.but never really had that to happen.sometimes if you worm a cow thats real wormy it could kill her.
 

rowdyred

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 22, 2009
Messages
232
Reaction score
0
Location
North Mississippi
Thanks bigbull, i have used safeguard blocks for the past 3 years with great results, i do plan on expanding to about 30 mammas this summer, was thinking should go with a more uniform wormer, something like ivomeck or something, used safeguard because didnt have a place to use pour -on, this summer im planning on building a coral/catchpen and i just bought a head-gate and bull panels, all i need now is some post and sweat
 

1982vett

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 3, 2008
Messages
9,444
Reaction score
220
Location
Central Texas
rowdyred":e5wafdbx said:
Thanks bigbull, i have used safeguard blocks for the past 3 years with great results, i do plan on expanding to about 30 mammas this summer, was thinking should go with a more uniform wormer, something like ivomeck or something, used safeguard because didnt have a place to use pour -on, this summer im planning on building a coral/catchpen and i just bought a head-gate and bull panels, all i need now is some post and sweat

I could do without the sweat. :lol:
 

TexasBred

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 15, 2007
Messages
30,730
Reaction score
227
Location
Heart of Texas
rowdyred":wkjw0tfx said:
can you over worm an animal?

Never have but doesn't mean it can't be done. Use to pull calves off the bottle at six weeks and give them 10 cc's immediately subq.
 

rowdyred

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 22, 2009
Messages
232
Reaction score
0
Location
North Mississippi
1982vett":22k22efw said:
rowdyred":22k22efw said:
Thanks bigbull, i have used safeguard blocks for the past 3 years with great results, i do plan on expanding to about 30 mammas this summer, was thinking should go with a more uniform wormer, something like ivomeck or something, used safeguard because didnt have a place to use pour -on, this summer im planning on building a coral/catchpen and i just bought a head-gate and bull panels, all i need now is some post and sweat

I could do without the sweat. :lol:[/quote]

I'm hoping the sweat will help me lose some of this winter weight :help:
 

rowdyred

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 22, 2009
Messages
232
Reaction score
0
Location
North Mississippi
1982vett":1ya7vhkm said:
rowdyred":1ya7vhkm said:
Thanks bigbull, i have used safeguard blocks for the past 3 years with great results, i do plan on expanding to about 30 mammas this summer, was thinking should go with a more uniform wormer, something like ivomeck or something, used safeguard because didnt have a place to use pour -on, this summer im planning on building a coral/catchpen and i just bought a head-gate and bull panels, all i need now is some post and sweat

I could do without the sweat. :lol:[/quote]

I'm hoping the sweat will help me lose some of this winter weight :help:
 

Latest posts

Top