Safe Zone

Help Support CattleToday:

Margonme

Reaction score
Preface: I did not post this on the Daily Inspirational Thread because it would be out of context with that thread.

I support the the "Daily Inspirational" thread. I am pleased the Moderators have the good grace to allow it. Never have I seen any misbehavior or arguments on that thread. I consider the rest of the forum as "the street". But the "Daily Inspirational" is and should be a SAFE ZONE.

PS: The rules state that Politics and Religion are not appropriate because they generate hostility. Interestingly, some of the most harsh language I have read on this forum was in a thread on sports. The "Can I get a Roll Tide!!!!" thread. I think sports should be added to the list of inappropriate topics. :lol:

So, since there has never been any angst in the DI thread, it begs the question---Exactly 'what' was the purpose of this thread?

(Disregard the question--I see it now, in the last few posts in the DI thread. Evidently, one of the "usual suspects" is upset that that thread even exists)

greybeard":2r0okvrl said:
So, since there has never been any angst in the DI thread, it begs the question---Exactly 'what' was the purpose of this thread?

(Disregard the question--I see it now, in the last few posts in the DI thread. Evidently, one of the "usual suspects" is upset that that thread even exists)

I posted this morning on the DI thread. My subject was verses from Matthew with perhaps stirring questions. I did not want it to be misunderstood after seeing one of the responses it provoked.

BTW: I did not think Hurley's comment meant he was a troll as Cross thinks. I see many comments in the same vain as Hurley's on other threads. Matter of perspective.

Margonme":jr8lmag2 said:
Preface: I did not post this on the Daily Inspirational Thread because it would be out of context with that thread.

I support the the "Daily Inspirational" thread. I am pleased the Moderators have the good grace to allow it. Never have I seen any misbehavior or arguments on that thread. I consider the rest of the forum as "the street". But the "Daily Inspirational" is and should be a SAFE ZONE.

PS: The rules state that Politics and Religion are not appropriate because they generate hostility. Interestingly, some of the most harsh language I have read on this forum was in a thread on sports. The "Can I get a Roll Tide!!!!" thread. I think sports should be added to the list of inappropriate topics. :lol:

Roll Tide !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Here is what I think about some of the religious types but no one on this forum.
I distrust those people who know so well
what God wants them to do,
because I notice it always coincides
with their own desires.
- Susan B. Anthony

hurleyjd":23tbuzv9 said:
Here is what I think about some of the religious types but no one on this forum.
with their own desires.
- Susan B. Anthony

I hope people don't get mad but if you read that and think for a minute - it is hilarious.

hurleyjd":30rerp5o said:
with their own desires.
- Susan B. Anthony

One of my former pastors said that when he encountered people that claimed God spoke directly to them he wanted to tell them "God told me that you're going to give me $50.00."

Rafter S":1wearhaw said:
hurleyjd":1wearhaw said:
with their own desires.
- Susan B. Anthony

One of my former pastors said that when he encountered people that claimed God spoke directly to them he wanted to tell them "God told me that you're going to give me $50.00."

I read about a person that attended one of the mega Churches where they are swaying with their hands in the air and said that he got a great thrill out of it. The next Saturday night this person attended a rock concert and got the same thrill. Amazing

hurleyjd":3obw3rur said:
Rafter S":3obw3rur said:
hurleyjd":3obw3rur said:
with their own desires.
- Susan B. Anthony

I read about a person that attended one of the mega Churches where they are swaying with their hands in the air and said that he got a great thrill out of it. The next Saturday night this person attended a rock concert and got the same thrill. Amazing

I can understand that. We are all looking for transcendance and/or transformation. A Bruce Springsteen concert is church IMHO. As well as many other experiences.
I wouldn't want to ruin the Daily Inspirations thread. Maybe some of us who find inspiration in readings, music, activities, art, and other pursuits which aren't biblical per se should have a thread "Heathens' Inspirations" (tongue-in-cheek working title but semi-serious suggestion).

boondocks":nss98r0v said:
hurleyjd":nss98r0v said:
Rafter S":nss98r0v said:

I can understand that. We are all looking for transcendance and/or transformation. A Bruce Springsteen concert is church IMHO. As well as many other experiences.
I wouldn't want to ruin the Daily Inspirations thread. Maybe some of us who find inspiration in readings, music, activities, art, and other pursuits which aren't biblical per se should have a thread "Heathens' Inspirations" (tongue-in-cheek working title but semi-serious suggestion).

I read the Daily Inspirational on a regular basis and I enjoy the literary quality of the Bible.

I remember in high school literature class, my teacher was a big fan of trancendentalism. I wonder if they teach such concepts as that today:

an idealistic philosophical and social movement that developed in New England around 1836 in reaction to rationalism. Influenced by romanticism, Platonism, and Kantian philosophy, it taught that divinity pervades all nature and humanity, and its members held progressive views on feminism and communal living. Ralph Waldo Emerson and Henry David Thoreau were central figures.

Margonme":pxf726d9 said:
boondocks":pxf726d9 said:
hurleyjd":pxf726d9 said:

I read the Daily Inspirational on a regular basis and I enjoy the literary quality of the Bible.

I remember in high school literature class, my teacher was a big fan of trancendentalism. I wonder if they teach such concepts as that today:

an idealistic philosophical and social movement that developed in New England around 1836 in reaction to rationalism. Influenced by romanticism, Platonism, and Kantian philosophy, it taught that divinity pervades all nature and humanity, and its members held progressive views on feminism and communal living. Ralph Waldo Emerson and Henry David Thoreau were central figures.

You lost me when I saw the phrase "communal living".

TennesseeTuxedo":2sh6xmc6 said:
You Atheists should start a thread of your own. I promise not to post on it.

I am guessing it would be taken down.

Grit stated:
Probably the best post ever. Do you have to be an atheist to be a liberal?

I see no connection between the two.

Grit, I doubt if the terms liberal and conservative have any real substance. The meanings of the words change. For example, a fiscal conservative may not be conservative on issues such as abortion, etc.

I am opposed to abortion on a biological basis, it is cruel. However, a true conservative would actually say it is none of the government's business and morals should not be the province of our government.

You call yourself a conservative Grit, but forgive me for being blunt, I can see from your remarks, you don't understand the term well.

Grit, I am posting the following which was copied from Wikipedia. I know that is not a prestigious reference. It does demonstrate that the terms conservative and liberal are hard to define and have different meaning. I doubt there is a conservative who does not hold some liberal values. Witness Dick Cheney, he changed his views on homosexuality after his daughter announced she was gay. It takes a person of substance to do that and was one of his best moments.

There is no single set of policies that are universally regarded as conservative, because the meaning of conservatism depends on what is considered traditional in a given place and time. Thus conservatives from different parts of the world—each upholding their respective traditions—may disagree on a wide range of issues. Edmund Burke, an 18th-century politician who opposed the French Revolution but supported the American Revolution, is credited as one of the main theorists of conservatism in Britain in the 1790s.[4] According to Quintin Hogg, the chairman of the British Conservative Party in 1959, "Conservatism is not so much a philosophy as an attitude, a constant force, performing a timeless function in the development of a free society, and corresponding to a deep and permanent requirement of human nature itself.

True Grit Farms":1i804aa6 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":1i804aa6 said:

Probably the best post ever. Do you have to be an atheist to be a liberal?

A liberal person believes in you having the right to seek and become what ever or whom ever you want to be. In other words live your life without interference from me. I know why I am liberal now tell me why you are conservative.

TennesseeTuxedo":2xv4k5qk said:

Here is a word you need to read and think about Deist. Look it up and you will find that I am a liberal Deist and proud of it. Try leading people to Christ who was the founder of your believe with mercy after all you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

hurleyjd":244js0jk said:
TennesseeTuxedo":244js0jk said:

Here is a word you need to read and think about Deist. Look it up and you will find that I am a liberal Deist and proud of it. Try leading people to Christ who was the founder of your believe with mercy after all you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

That term is not lost on me. I Know it well. You are correct, not many people spend time understanding the other feller. Most in the USA are born into and indoctrinated with only the concept of theism. They avoid the thought that another free person might think beyond theism or perhaps not avoid but are apathetic to the possibility that other free people do not covet their philosophy.

Got to say, this thread is skating on thin ice. Don't be surprised when it goes "poof ".

:deadhorse:

Latest posts