S B J

Help Support CattleToday:

bigbruh

Reaction score
I have a "single black jersey " looking for an Angus male. Anyone use a select sire angus on their jerseys? Who and what kind of results did you have?

Haven't done it, but you'd likely get a nice, black, polled calf.
Is this a heifer or mature cow? Any CE Angus bull would be OK on a decent Jersey heifer, I would think. Mature cow...you could probably breed her to almost any Angus sire currently available...

Heifer, I got her in trade for a cow that wouldn't breed back. She just called yesterday so I figured that I had a one time to figure out what I want to breed her back to. My co worker bred his jersey heifer to a balancer. Curiosity see what comes of that.

bigbruh":tj4f2jix said:
I have a "single black jersey " looking for an Angus male. Anyone use a select sire angus on their jerseys? Who and what kind of results did you have?

"Black Jersey"? I assume it's a Jersey Angus cross?

My brother has several half jersey, half beefmaster cows. Kind of an odd cross, because the beefmaster doesn't need any help milking IMHO. Anyway, they are some of the nicest cows I've ever seen. Huge weaning weights, and the jersey seems to knock off almost all the leather.

Rafter S":1ox5ca0z said:
bigbruh":1ox5ca0z said:

"Black Jersey"? I assume it's a Jersey Angus cross?
Or hojo.
Lots of dairymen are breeding the bottom third of their cows to beef right now. Most is limousin due to wulf's program but there's a lot of simangus going out as well. Jersey fat is yellow but they marble really, really well so the key to making good carcasses with them in the mix is to knock the fat off and add gain.
As far as calving them, even the heifers can stand quite a bit more calf than you'd think... They're pretty tough for dairy cattle and the dam's side of things is extreme calving ease. In fact I had a relief breeder mix up some char semen and breed it to jersey heifers and they all had them with no help and it wasn't even CE char semen.

bigfoot,
The Spains, out here in my end of the county, run a Jersey bull on all their Beefmaster heifers.
Have never seen the calves...always wondered what they looked like - and what they did with them...
Have seen some of their Braunvieh-cross calves, out of Beefmaster calves, and they.are.NICE!

I'm not sure what she's crossed with Rafter S. if I could figure out how to post a picture, I would. She's all black with a jersey's frame. I think she will make a nice nurse cow. Plenty of milk to go around.

Lucky_P":51gjoys7 said:
bigfoot,
The Spains, out here in my end of the county, run a Jersey bull on all their Beefmaster heifers.
Have never seen the calves...always wondered what they looked like - and what they did with them...
Have seen some of their Braunvieh-cross calves, out of Beefmaster calves, and they.are.NICE!

These came from there visa V some bred heifers.

Jersey/Beefmaster? Thicker than I imagined. How different would it be with the Beefmaster as the sire?

bigbruh":euuvlxru said:
Jersey/Beefmaster? Thicker than I imagined. How different would it be with the Beefmaster as the sire?

I don't know. Personally, I haven't been around a ton of jersey cross cows. Second hand info here for sure, but my dad says a jersey or jersey cross is pretty prolific at coming in heat, and sticking. If I knew all jersey cross cows would wean calves like these, I'd probably pursue it. Might have just been an anomaly, but they are weaning big calves that are a quarter jersey, and don't show it all. They're bred to a black sim.

They're precocious, all right.
Still remember my only visit to one of my Jersey dairy clients' farm, back in the '80s. So far as I know his genetics were well-respected and sought after - but good God, what a crap hole. Don't recall what I was there for, but he had several 14-month old heifers that didn't weigh an ounce over 400 lb. - in the milking string. So... they probably got bred at 5 months of age...probably by their brothers.

Lucky_P":39nc4m33 said:
They're precocious, all right.
Still remember my only visit to one of my Jersey dairy clients' farm, back in the '80s. So far as I know his genetics were well-respected and sought after - but good God, what a crap hole. Don't recall what I was there for, but he had several 14-month old heifers that didn't weigh an ounce over 400 lb. - in the milking string. So... they probably got bred at 5 months of age...probably by their brothers.
I told my customer that has 9,800 milking that his heifers weren't cycling for some reason. He ran a list of tbrd=0 heifers and went out and hit over three hundred head with lut. Turns out his new calf guy was leaving what few bulls they keep in with the heifers until they were four months old and about half of what they sent me for the next few months was already bred.

Wow! Just thinking about all the time I wasted shopping for a mature bred heifer. Sounds like I've wasted months! lol

Latest posts