rye grass

Help Support CattleToday:

jt

Reaction score
has anyone heard of "oregon grown" rye grass? i am wanting to plant some and that is the brand a local store has. i have never heard of it or how well it does in comparison to other brands like gulf or marshall.

thanks

jt

Because of its climate nearly all the commercial ryegrass varieties are grown in Oregon. A lot of the sacks will say "Oregon grown". Look at the tag to see what variety.

Drive around the Willamette Valley, there is a bunch of ground down there growing grass seed. Gulf, Marshall, and a lot of other cultivars of ryegrass and a lot of other species are grown there.

thanks. i dont think the store knew the difference either. i called them back and after some time they were able to tell me that it was gulf.

jt

If I were you I'd spend a little more money and plant Marshall if you can find it, Marshall seems to be more tolerant of heat and gives you more grazing time and allows you to cut hay later when its warmer and easier to cure.

gertman":35jwnz4x said:
If I were you I'd spend a little more money and plant Marshall if you can find it, Marshall seems to be more tolerant of heat and gives you more grazing time and allows you to cut hay later when its warmer and easier to cure.

that is exactly what i did yesterday. had to order it, but it will be in next week.
i was told that it will withstand frost better too.

thanks

jt

That is not the best way, Tn. It is a way, but far from the best. Rye grass doesn't broadcast well because of its light weight. The best way is to not disc anything and plant with a no-till drill 25-30 lb per acre.

ga. prime":1ewyxvhi said:
That is not the best way, Tn. It is a way, but far from the best. Rye grass doesn't broadcast well because of its light weight. The best way is to not disc anything and plant with a no-till drill 25-30 lb per acre.

I vote for what is said above.

If you don't have a no till drill you can probably rent one from a conservation district, (we have two) or from a local equipment dealer.

Sowed some Marshall last year with only a drop seeder and it came up good BUT the ground was almost bare due to drought. If there is much cover it doesn't seem to come up through it unless the ground is somewhat disturbed such as a disc, renovator or no-till drill. Have tried them all and they all work and they all fail depending on many variables.

Latest posts