Rye Grass

Help Support CattleToday:

garseer

Reaction score
I have a rye grass patch for some calves and I also have a pregnant mare. Will it hurt the horse to eat the rye grass for a long period of time. She really loves to eat it, but I do not let her eat much as I am not sure to how much is to much.

Don't know about rye grass but my horse has been eating winter wheat and oats since oct he loves it too.
Can't see any any problems.

I would be real careful of carbohydrate overload that could result in founder if we have a wet spring. Rye is rich in sugar and wet years will really push the growth on that stuff resulting in a very carbohyrate rich buffet. While great for cows, it can and often does result in foundering horses. They say that a good way around this during the height of its growing season is to wait to graze your horse on the stuff until the dew burns off of it. Something about the grass pulling more nutrients up when its wet.

I'm afraid I've been there and done that. Lost the best horse I ever had or ever will have due to foundering while grazing a rye pasture. This was about 4 years ago when we had a really wet spring. The vet said that he had seen quite a few cases of founder that year due to the wet spring and rye pastures. Hours and hours of research done on foundering, its causes and cures basically resulted in the above summary. I'm sure I'm paranoid about it now, but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, and that is one thing I never ever want to see again.

Another thing to watch out for is a fungess called Ergot. Also knowen as Devils Fire. It is nasty stuff.it was hidden in some rye grass I purchased as hay.I suggest you :frowns: look it up and read on it as it can harbor in other grass hays.I know from the problems I had I will never look at grass hay the same way again. Cindy :frowns:

Latest posts