Rye grass and temperature

Help Support CattleToday:

cypressfarms

Reaction score
Planted a tetraploid ryegrass this year, but due to the rains coming so late, I now only have a 2~4" stand. I've been getting good rains lately, but the rye isn't jumping as usual. Normally would have a 2~4" stand in Nov.
Does anyone know what temperature "window" ryegrass grows best at? Nights lately have been from high 30's to 40's and days been getting between mid 50's and mid 60's. It's so late in the year now, I'll be lucky to be grazing it by the end of January.

Don't know the BEST temperature but it likes cool weather. I planted Gulf Rye and mine isn't doing much better than yours and I have had plenty of rain and the weather has been cool. I could dump some fertilizer on it but is just another expense and I have plenty of hay to feed anyway. I suspect being as far south as we are, late Dec it will jump. Usually does for me.

For what it's worth!
Part way down the picture is a graphic of the accepted/expected growth for rye/wheat in MO. Further south it may start a little later because of the later cool down and end a little sooner because of the earlier wrm-up.

small-grain.jpg

dun

Thanks Dun. I have come to expect not getting much rye until late Dec early Jan down here. We have been having cooler days already though. Been 45 here and 35 at the farm several mornings. A little cooler than we normally have this time of year.

cypressfarms":1zkeirk2 said:
Planted a tetraploid ryegrass this year, but due to the rains coming so late, I now only have a 2~4" stand. I've been getting good rains lately, but the rye isn't jumping as usual. Normally would have a 2~4" stand in Nov.
Does anyone know what temperature "window" ryegrass grows best at? Nights lately have been from high 30's to 40's and days been getting between mid 50's and mid 60's. It's so late in the year now, I'll be lucky to be grazing it by the end of January.

Cypress, If my memory serves me correctly, at a grazing meeting I attended a few years back, The question was asked-why little growth in warm winter and adequate moisture? The answer was due to the short day length and less sunlight interception due to the winter sun being lower in the sky. Based on this, I doubt we can do anything but wait or put out sun lamps. LOL At least you have had good rains. I have had less than 1.5 " since Sept 1.

Regards

Brock

Since it's just now coming up for ya'll do you think it's too late to plant a little now? We have been real short on rain so I never put any out, but now we've had some and I can see more coming soon, so should I try it or is it just too late?

J":3q3sjwvk said:
Since it's just now coming up for ya'll do you think it's too late to plant a little now? We have been real short on rain so I never put any out, but now we've had some and I can see more coming soon, so should I try it or is it just too late?

Why not, I've heard of people planting as late as Dec 15th, which is today.

My only concern is that on normal years my ryegrass is much farther along than now. I normally plant in Oct, and by Dec, have a very good stand; almost enough to start grazing. That's not gonna happen this year. I'll keep my fingers crossed, but I was kind of hoping to give a group of replacements a big boost with the ryegrass/clover before I breed them for the first time next spring.

THe problem is not temperature but daylight length. We are approaching the shortest day of the year December 22. When we would normally be growing ryegrass (mid October to late November) is the equivalaent day length to late February and March when ryegrass explodes in our area. Our ryegrass is almost non existent in East Texas this year due to lack of moisture in the fall.

BC":mmjlll6j said:
THe problem is not temperature but daylight length. We are approaching the shortest day of the year December 22. When we would normally be growing ryegrass (mid October to late November) is the equivalaent day length to late February and March when ryegrass explodes in our area. Our ryegrass is almost non existent in East Texas this year due to lack of moisture in the fall.

Will confirm or second that statement,,Our situation early frost and drought,,,,argh.....I predicted completely wrong..........