Rye grass and oats

Help Support CattleToday:

Williams Farms":2z8pl2o0 said:
CB i tryed the baleing rye grass thing a few years ago it was a nightmare to get dryed. I dont think you live that far north of me how long does it usually take you to get it dry. I tedded it and it still took forever.

Nuther thing don't get to tied up in worrying about that jiggs as you will loose your shirt trying to keep the Bahia out.
Welcome to where Bahia is king much easier to roll with mother nature than try and fight her. When you get into that fight father time jumps in and she will win in the end.

Caustic Burno":1b5yocyh said:
Nuther thing don't get to tied up in worrying about that jiggs as you will loose your shirt trying to keep the Bahia out.
Welcome to where Bahia is king much easier to roll with mother nature than try and fight her. When you get into that fight father time jumps in and she will win in the end.

Cimarron Plus, a non restricted herbicide, will control Bahia in jiggs.

novatech":2w08qnkq said:
Caustic Burno":2w08qnkq said:

Cimarron Plus, a non restricted herbicide, will control Bahia in jiggs.

I know that he is just a never ending battle from every load of hay going down the road to every bird that flies over his pasture. Bahia is the grass here Bahia loves here . When you are surrounded like the Alamo you are in for a fight of your life from now on.
We have different grasses in you can choose from Argentine, Paraguay or Pensacola for your favorite hay field or pasture. All Bahia of coarse.

JS i have noticed the same thing about the mineral i've put it out for several years and it doesn't seem like they touch it, but it makes me feel better using it.
CB i used to have bahia before i had the jiggs sprigged in 07. I like the jiggs alot better. I dont have problems with it in my pastures at the house that have cows on it. I have a 40 acre jiggs hayfield in Kountze that i have to spray every year to keep bahia out. It is usually around the outside of the field. I truly think it is from my hay equipment. I have cleaned baler,rake,cutter,tractor,etc before going to that field, i just think some of the bahia seeds hide on the equipment. The bahia is always on the outside of the field where i start cutting or baleing. Now that being said i bale a field that is argentina and you drive through a gate and you are in the jiggs field, never had a problem with that one getting bahia in the jiggs and i have never cleaned the equipment between fields. I dont think the argentina spreads as bad as the pensacola does. But i do agree that its hard to fight bahia in this area. I am really liking the argentina, it produces pretty good, not as good as the jiggs though. The bahia does not require near the fertilizer the jiggs does though. I do think i'll try plantig rye grass on all my pastures next year and take your advice on baleing it.
BM baleing the rye grass does remind me of coastal in late fall as you said. You hit the nail on the head.

Fellow ask me one time what is the best grass for this area.
My response was what grows in my pasture with the least upkeep.
I have tried it all I have common, coastal, every variety of bahia, Alicia and African Star.
Most has been taken over by the bahia. Same fellow ask is I was concerned about the protien of my hay.
My response to that was I can't change the hay if a cow can't maintain BCS while raising a calf on my hay I am getting a better cow.

Williams Farms":3jg54oqi said:
JS i have noticed the same thing about the mineral i've put it out for several years and it doesn't seem like they touch it, but it makes me feel better using it.
CB i used to have bahia before i had the jiggs sprigged in 07. I like the jiggs alot better. I dont have problems with it in my pastures at the house that have cows on it. I have a 40 acre jiggs hayfield in Kountze that i have to spray every year to keep bahia out. It is usually around the outside of the field. I truly think it is from my hay equipment. I have cleaned baler,rake,cutter,tractor,etc before going to that field, i just think some of the bahia seeds hide on the equipment. The bahia is always on the outside of the field where i start cutting or baleing. Now that being said i bale a field that is argentina and you drive through a gate and you are in the jiggs field, never had a problem with that one getting bahia in the jiggs and i have never cleaned the equipment between fields. I dont think the argentina spreads as bad as the pensacola does. But i do agree that its hard to fight bahia in this area. I am really liking the argentina, it produces pretty good, not as good as the jiggs though. The bahia does not require near the fertilizer the jiggs does though. I do think i'll try plantig rye grass on all my pastures next year and take your advice on baleing it.
BM baleing the rye grass does remind me of coastal in late fall as you said. You hit the nail on the head.

That wouldn't be the big hayfield on the east side of Hwy 69 south of Kountze.

No CB thats not my field, that field goes on back along ways, if you take 327 there headed to Silsbee you can really see how big that place is. You turn right across the highway from there and head west about 2 miles back in the woods to get to my field.

Williams Farms":2ohz5q3b said:
No CB thats not my field, that field goes on back along ways, if you take 327 there headed to Silsbee you can really see how big that place is. You turn right across the highway from there and head west about 2 miles back in the woods to get to my field.

Gotcha know pretty well were you are at.
I pass that field going to St E's on a pretty regular basis.

Caustic Burno":2n0wzz1d said:
Williams Farms":2n0wzz1d said:

Gotcha know pretty well were you are at.
I pass that field going to St E's on a pretty regular basis.
That one your talkin about cb is mostly Tifton 85 .

Latest posts