Rustoleum

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
Thought I'd paint the used squeeze chute I bought with Rustoleum as it has some surface rust. Anyone use it before?

Rustolium is a good product, just be sure to get it good and clean first. If you aren't to concerned about the finnish quality, (ie. looking like a shiney new car) I would recomend brushing it on. You can get a thicker coat for longer lasting protection that way. The airisol cans work nicely too. It doesn't flash dry like other rattle can paint does. So plan on allowing a day or so to dry.

I've used it and I liked the results.

For a couple of projects I lightly sanded the most rusted areas, then applied a coat of the Rustoleum Rust Renewer, then painted with the paint (brushed on for a thicker coat).

Gempler's also has a Rust Renewer type product that works just as well as the Rustoleum Rust Renewer.

Katherine

Workinonit Farm":12ygtl0l said:
I've used it and I liked the results.

For a couple of projects I lightly sanded the most rusted areas, then applied a coat of the Rustoleum Rust Renewer, then painted with the paint (brushed on for a thicker coat).

Gempler's also has a Rust Renewer type product that works just as well as the Rustoleum Rust Renewer.

Katherine
The stuff from Gemplers works great but it has an expiration date. Know anyone that wants any ofit that's out of date? I still have 2 quarts of it. I got some different stuff from The Rust Guys and it doesn;t go out of date and also works really well.

dun":1x9wvdm0 said:
Know anyone that wants any ofit that's out of date? I still have 2 quarts of it.

No, but if you find someone who's interested, I've about a 1/2 quart I'll toss in with your 2. :lol:

Katherine

Rustoleum is a good product but is mostly geared for mild surface rust. if you have pitted rust i suggest getting a brush on rust stopping product. There are a lot of names out there for this but the one I use is called Rust Mort and is made by the Sems company. Brush it on and let it dry them put Rustoleum over it. It will not perform if left exposed to sun and weather. I coated the 4 wheel drive floorboard with this stuff 10 years ago and it never got any worse.

I made my corrals out of used oil pipe and sucker rod. VERY heavy rust. I used the brush on rustoleum and the results were great. I used one heavy coat and didn't concern myself much with runs and drips, just slopped it on heavy. Didn't mess with sanding, scraped off the old oil and dirt with a putty knife.

I painted a 16 foot trailer with RED brush on,just the metal frame,well to tell the truth my 9 year old grand dauther rolled it on with a 4 inch rolled...took here 2 and 1/2 hours ...It was a fun afternoon....THE PAINT WORKED GREAT....

Just a tip. When you paint anything round get a painters mitt. They sell them at the paint stores, if they don't have one a carwash mitt works just as good if you wear it over a rubber glove. You''ll have to pull the loose fibre out of the carwash mitt with duct tape before you start. Nothing works better on pipe, does a good job and a great time saver. Also works great when painting fuel tanks and propane bottles.

I've had good luck with yellow and white but not with red and black. 2 years ago I dismantled my 6X10 trailer down to the frame. Cleaned it wire brush and sanded. Put on Rust. primer and 2 coats of Gloss Black. Put on a new 2X6 pressure treated floor sure looked good when I was done. Now the paint is faded and looks 10 years old. Same thing on some of my gates and a hay wagon I re-did. Cleaned wire brushed and primed. 2 coats of red paint, 1 year layer the red paint is already getting dull from the sun. I get new paint for every job I do. Had the same experience with my hay rake, re-built from top to bottom, yellow paint still good red paint is faded.

kenojoe":3bfg6g3a said:
I've had good luck with yellow and white but not with red and black. 2 years ago I dismantled my 6X10 trailer down to the frame. Cleaned it wire brush and sanded. Put on Rust. primer and 2 coats of Gloss Black. Put on a new 2X6 pressure treated floor sure looked good when I was done. Now the paint is faded and looks 10 years old. Same thing on some of my gates and a hay wagon I re-did. Cleaned wire brushed and primed. 2 coats of red paint, 1 year layer the red paint is already getting dull from the sun. I get new paint for every job I do. Had the same experience with my hay rake, re-built from top to bottom, yellow paint still good red paint is faded.
The shine isn;t what is the preservative.

Latest posts