Ruptured Belly update

Help Support CattleToday:

bward

Reaction score
Three weeks have passed since my original post and Nothing has happened..... except that she is much bigger. She has no udder developement and her belly is sagging even lower and it is also much wider.
I have never seen anything like this and am beginning to suspect that she may have hydrops, a condition where the amniotic fluid builds and builds. At this point she is still able to get up and lay down, able to move and able to stand for periods of time. She is relatively comfortable and does'nt seem to be in any distress other than lugging herself around. Don't know how much longer that will last though and am prepared to intervene when needed. She is still eating and ruminating.

Our calving season has just begun and out of 5 cows calving we have had 2 sets of twins. I know there are more out there.

will update again.

Thank you soo much for updating us. I check every day to see if there's something new with your cow. Still have my fingers crossed something GOOD will come from this!
Valerie

Is there a way for your vet to ultrasound?? You'd be able to see if there are twins and he/she may be able to see if there is too much amnio fluid...they can do it with people why not with cows??

Her due date has come and gone. Her condition continues to worsen.
Are you sure it is not time to intervene?
If you wait until she shows distress, it may be too late...
Just a thought.

What do you mean her due date has come and gone? I never gave a due date becasue I don't have one. We should Start calving about March 20th and we have. When her due date is, is anybodys guess. Could be March 20th to 60 days later.

As a quickie update, The cow is dead and I got a live calf out of her. He is a big preemie and has no teeth erupted, and other than the fact he won't suck he is perfectly healthy.

I plan to write a full description of what happened ( which was Saturday) in a few days. My hubbie is very sick with the flu and spent 4 hours in the hospital yesterday on IV fluids and IV pain relief. He has been sick for days and I have had to do everything myself ( instead of the luxury job of helper/ know-it-all)

I have a new found respect for all the back breaking jobs he does around here day in and day out.
I am utterly wiped out.

Later,

good job, sounds like an emergency c section, just a guess. I know you are tired and exhausted, you might need to tube the calf colostrum within 6 hours of birth to give it a fighting chance. As well a source of heat to keep it warm.
Sorry to hear you husband is real sick, I hope he is on the mend.

Good luck

RR

Thanks for the update. I was wondering how much bigger that cow could get. I've never had one do this. So I have kept up with the story.
Sorry for the loss of the cow and hope the best for the calf. Hope the hubby is feeling better.

Sorry for the loss of the cow, best of luck with baby. Try rubbing his/her chin and cheeks or the top of nose, and even down neck, like mom would have been doing, as she is cleaning I've found that that can help stimulate nursing. Also rub his butt, even down his hind legs, like mom is reaching back and licking (this usually stimulates pooping and peeing) but has helped on occasion with nursing. Rubbing the thumb or finger in the mouth to simulate the motion has worked too...A bit of pro-bios, really warm colostrum or milk sure makes a big difference too.

Thanks for the update, looking forward to the tale of what happened Saturday. Hope your husband gets well soon too.

Latest posts