running old and young bull together

Help Support CattleToday:

arkie 74

Reaction score
We've bought a weaning bull that is now 14 mths. He's been in a lot by his self since weaning. We've got our old bull (5yrs old) put up at the this time. Would it be ok to run these bulls together in a 3 to 5 acre field?

arkie 74":2q3v6pbx said:
We've bought a weaning bull that is now 14 mths. He's been in a lot by his self since weaning. We've got our old bull (5yrs old) put up at the this time. Would it be ok to run these bulls together in a 3 to 5 acre field?

Yup.

Watch the size difference. Just last week I had a 2 year old bull break the front legs on a yearling. They were playing and mounting each other, but something went wrong. I've run bulls together for years, but you never know when something is going to happen.

just keep your eye on them.i dont think theyll fight to much.because the big bull will put the lil 1 in his place quick.accadents do happen when you have bulls penned togather.

arkie 74":31s770bs said:

Yes.

If you are going to keep two bulls on the same place, sooner or later they are going to find a way to get together. Might as well do it now and let them get it over with. More than likely, later on when the young one hits his prime he will still remember the whooping he got from the older bull when he was young. Just an observation. My older bulls tend to ingnore a much younger bull. Bulls closer in age seem to be a different story.

ive got a friend that did what your wanting todo.he has a 4yr old an a 17 month old togather.an he hasnt had any probs.an he just turned them out togather on 17 cows.so the young bull can cover for the older bull.the 4yr old bull hurt his leg real bad.an he dont know if he can hold up to breeding.so he turned them out togather.he hates culling a high dollar bull.

Thanks for all the info. I'll turn them in together at the end of the week. I'am sure it won't take long to establish a pecking order. Thanks again!

Running a young and old bull is the only way to put bulls together. Its when you get them very close in age or size that you start getting injuries. Of course there are some young bulls, every once in a while, that just won't quit fighting until the other bull has to kill them.