Runner

Help Support CattleToday:

FredS":3kwvv6w0 said:
So what do yall think.
This ya'll thinks you have a bad spoiled daughter, spoiled worse than her hfr. You better get her unspoiled before she runs the household instead of mama and daddy running it. Looks like she's well on the way.

Fred

I just glanced through the posts - what is this animal's weight?

Tie this sucker to another animal - donkey, horse, cow and walk it for hours - lots of hours - wear it down if necessary - always have daughter at side.

Worked for me a few years ago - used a Belgian - tough animal to pull over. :lol:

Bez!

milkmaid":3ugz6dvn said:
Circle C Ranches":3ugz6dvn said:
FredS":3ugz6dvn said:
My daughter's new heifer wants to run when she leads her. She doesn't have the strength to hold her back. How do break one from doing this? I have some panels and I thought about creating a little pen to work her in and then gradually increase the size. What do yall think?

Put the show stick in front of her face and when she trys to get ahead of you hit her on the nose it will take a few times for her to understand what she is doing wrong and what you want her to do.

I've decided some of you folks must be a lot tougher -and stronger- than me. I wouldn't DARE smack a "green" half-broke 800lb+ calf or one that had a bad habit of bolting. With my luck, the calf would either run over the top of me or do a 180 and take off the other direction. :roll: Only time I'd consider it would be on a calf that was broke and respected the rope enough that he'd stop when he hit the end of it (after jumping six feet in surprise)...but then on a broke calf there wouldn't be any need for that sort of treatment.

More than that though - I HAD a 1500lb cow with a bad habit of bolting, and she wouldn't give you enough notice to do anything when she decided to run. 15 minutes of perfection, and then she'd take off. Anyone who could have stopped that animal then would have had my total respect...and I always kept TWO chains on her. One under the jaw, other through the mouth. Worked about 50% of the time. :lol:

Well you know sometimes they take off and others just get it. If you want her to stop it is a risk you got to take what ever you do if that calf takes off hold on. If they get away 1 time it wont be much for them to try again. Dont hit her with all you got tap, tap, tap then hit.

Tonight we will leave for a show. I'm just hoping all of our hard work pays off. If not, at least we know that we have given it a good try. I think everyone has enjoyed this challenge. Each day, every family member jumps in and does their part. Last night, the heifer did so well that we all went out for a shake to celebrate.

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to make suggestions. The support has been incredible.

As far as my daughter being spoiled, I wouldn't have it any other way. In my opinion, a girl with determination and drive is much better than a girl that wants give up when she runs across a challenge.

Thanks again for the support and I will let you know if the outting was a "train wreck" or a success.

Hope she does well at the show. They will let individuals help at the jack pot shows we go to. I would just ask because it is not worth getting someone hurt. When our daughter was first showing her older heifer got spooked at a show and it took 6 weeks of constant work and showing to regain the ground. She was young and weighed between 30-40lbs. (not much lead in those britches). She has gone on and has done well so keep up the good work.

The heifer and my daughter both did great. My daughter lead her in the ring by herself. I was a little nervous since my daughter heifer was the youngest in the class and had to lead the way. Thank goodness, the heifer didn't even attempt to run. The only problem was that she got a little nervous and turned sideways in the 1st ring. In the second ring, she was perfect. They even placed 3rd in showmanship out of about 14. Hopefully, running will be a thing of the past.

FredS":3qlrap2l said:
In the second ring, she was perfect. They even placed 3rd in showmanship out of about 14. Hopefully, running will be a thing of the past.
Your daughter did great. 3rd out 14 in Showmanship is excellent for her first time. Give her my Congragulations.

Hope bolting and running will be a thing of the past.

Latest posts