Ruger model 77 357 magnum rifle

Help Support CattleToday:

FlyingLSimmentals

Reaction score
I purchased it today, not sure what I'm gonna do with it but just wanted something different in the gun cabinet. Had several 357 rounds for my pistol, thought what the heck I'm gonna see what this little rifle will do.

I've always thought that round was interesting in a lever action rifle. Maybe a truck gun, maybe strapped to the ropd on a tractor, or carry on a horse. No scope, no long range shots, so the round would fit the application. What drew you to it in a bolt action? Just curious.

I'm going to get me a Henry Big Boy in .357 one of these days. I've always thought it would be an excellent gun for young people to learn with.

Bigfoot, I guess because I just don't see many of them. Yeah I thought if I had ever bought one it would be one of those lever action Henry's. Funny how one's mind changes sometimes. The black synthetic stock and stainless steel barrel really does match my 357 revolver maybe that had something to do with it. Anyway it's something new for me to try out, hopefully I'll like it.

FlyingLSimmentals":1aviukvi said:
Bigfoot, I guess because I just don't see many of them. Yeah I thought if I had ever bought one it would be one of those lever action Henry's. Funny how one's mind changes sometimes. The black synthetic stock and stainless steel barrel really does match my 357 revolver maybe that had something to do with it. Anyway it's something new for me to try out, hopefully I'll like it.

I have the Ruger 77 in 44 mag. Absolutely love it and has become my deer gun now. Indiana deer hunting laws stink as far as what they will allow you to hunt deer with...so I quickly fell in love with the ruger. Mine spends a lot of time in the pick up too. Enjoy!

Bigfoot":2djkbi0l said:
I've always thought that round was interesting in a lever action rifle. Maybe a truck gun, maybe strapped to the ropd on a tractor, or carry on a horse. No scope, no long range shots, so the round would fit the application. What drew you to it in a bolt action? Just curious.
I've got a 94 saddle carbine in 357. handy little gun.

Excellent little gun and caliber to hunt or plink with. Plinking you can shoot 38 specials through it. It also makes a good little deer gun especially if your starting out a kid.
If you reload you can really cook up some rounds for the 357 mag better than what you can buy off the shelf. You can could also load up some 38 specials with trailboss powder and have a really quiet with zero recoil plinking round or for shooting possums out of the barn.

i got one. put a bushnell trophy on it. close to the bolt but it clears. so far great abut 100 yds all I been out. shoots all different kinds of loads.
lotta info on the firing line forums about it.
when that dang magazine starts giving ya fits lemme know. I have figured out the feed problems . some guys got em. some don't. mine wouldn't feed chit. even a new mag didn't help..they aint cheap either.
how loose is your bolt. I ended up shimming mine
I have a henry lever in 357 and a marlin lever also. theyre all about the same performance wise but the ruger is my first bolt gun..its fun. and im a big 357 revolver fan so it makes it even more fun

diesel- Thanks for all the info. The Bolt seems to be fine not real loose but not tight neither. It was the gun on display so people had been handling and looking at it. Haven't loaded it yet or shot it. Probably will wait until Christmas Day to shoot it. I think it might have been priced higher than the Henry's, think they might have been on sale. Again this one just grabbed my attention. I think after the background fee and taxes it cost $699.77. Wish it had been in KY those TN taxes are HIGH.
My uncle said he could load me some rounds for it that would be better than most on the self. Guess I'll find out within the next year.

that was less than msrp so ya did ok. mine was used and I paid 600..well nib but I wasn't the original purchaser so technically used.
when I took my bolt out it just felt loose so I shimmed it but if ya shim it too tight it jams up in the receiver.
mine had alotta feed problems but ill tell ya now I got it cycling right its one of my favorite guns. one that might make me get into really figuring out how far I can stretch it. but it don't need much work I don't think

That should be fun little gun. I had a marlin lever action in 357, but I've also got one in 44 so I let go of the 357 a few years ago.