Row Maker or "Hiller"

Help Support CattleToday:

GA Farm Boy

Reaction score
I am looking for an implement to hill up rows in my garden and have not found one with great reviews and was hoping someone on here might have some feedback. I have a local dealer here who has the Linebach line of implements, but the only experience I had with them was not good. It takes about 100 of subsoiling in Georgia red clay to bend a Linebach subsoiler for anyone who has wondered. If it matters it will be pulled behind a JD 5525 4wd.

Thanks,

Chris

I use a simple border maker for hills but it's hard to do in a small garden as you have to have enough room at the end to run the tractor with the implement up.
Don't buy one new. They are common enough that an old sturdy one can be bought for not much more than scrap is worth.

I agree with CP, don't buy a new one, especially down there where row crops are (or at least were) popular. We have one for potatoes that works pretty nicely, but we have a sandy loam which slides a bit nicer. The one we have has good big shovels and forged shanks, which bolt to a 2x2" Angle iron frame that has a hole every inch to bolt to, we pull it behind a MF 165. Ours has 3 shovels so it effectively does 2 rows at once.

I'm just on my way home from an auction and we got a smokin deal on a 10 ft rod weeder (they work amazing) for 250$... we were ready to pay 1750 for it. We also got a nice little cultivator with 4" goosefoots for a couple hundred. We didn't get the nice 4 disc disc plow... that was 1000$.

We also saw a nice little IH484 with a bucket but the guy didn't want to sell it

I break the ground up with a plow, disk, tiller, etc. To make the rows I use a bedder, 2 disks for each row.. From then on I use cultivators.

Mine will need to be a two row, since by center to center measurement is 72". Well I have decided to just take an old frame I found laying around and order some of the disc from agrisupply. It may take some playing around with, but I'm sure we can get it to work. I was just in a little bit of a hurry and was wanting to take the easy way out, but the more I have thought about it I just can't see spending the money when we can modify something that we already have. Thanks for the tips.

GA Farm Boy":1ryp37tv said:
Mine will need to be a two row, since by center to center measurement is 72". Well I have decided to just take an old frame I found laying around and order some of the disc from agrisupply. It may take some playing around with, but I'm sure we can get it to work. I was just in a little bit of a hurry and was wanting to take the easy way out, but the more I have thought about it I just can't see spending the money when we can modify something that we already have. Thanks for the tips.
I used to make rows with a single middle buster then knock the tops down with a tiller.

Other than for potatoes i have never understood why people want to start will hills. Is it concerns about flooding?
I use what i call a running off plow on my 140, for making a furrow/ditch for planting. I like to hill the row up over time by pulling soil up to the plants.

Latest posts