round hay bails wraped in plastic

Help Support CattleToday:

brownmule

Reaction score
got a dumb question, but if you dont ask you wont know,LOL few people here use a plastic wraper on there round bails, it look like wraped tight, i know that would keep water off but what about sweating the hay? or rolling it up green?wont it get hot,and mold? i seen this guy last week roll up hay that hadn't really cured yet {it got rained on, was damp} roll and wrap it. i use a few round bails here, i cover them with a tarp with a pole on top to make a pitch so water wont stand in between the bails Thanks rose

Those bales wrapped tightly to exclude are are done that way so that the hay ferments. It's called baleage or haylage depending on the area. It's basicly silage in bale form

dun

Since it's air tight it doesn;t get musty or dusty. There was a thread a week or 2 ago about wrapping hay, might want to search for it. In theory it's only for cattle, but over at the dairy the horses break open the bales and eat them, haven't seen any harm come to them from it. I wouldn;t feed it to a horse on purpose though.

dun

dun":2pcmsuk8 said:
Those bales wrapped tightly to exclude are are done that way so that the hay ferments. It's called baleage or haylage depending on the area. It's basicly silage in bale form

dun

Thanks, Dun!

Latest posts