Rough Start with the Fall Calvers

Help Support CattleToday:

fit2btied

Reaction score
My brother has moved / is moving his cows to a fall calving season. They are currently running on a neighbors land. Friday, they decided to brush hog the seed heads and when going around the pond bank, they ran over what was apparently the first calf of the season. They weren't expecting anything until closer to October and had no idea the season was already underway. :(

fit2btied":27eb6ygl said:
My brother has moved / is moving his cows to a fall calving season. They are currently running on a neighbors land. Friday, they decided to brush hog the seed heads and when going around the pond bank, they ran over what was apparently the first calf of the season. They weren't expecting anything until closer to October and had no idea the season was already underway. :(
Tell him next yr clip the pastures before he moves the cows in
for fall calving you need short grass if your going to be in the pastures at all with ANY TYPE vehicle

I killed one a couple yrs ago like that,but I knew she had a calf and went and found it and went back to running the BH and she moved the calf to the center of the field and then went back to stand where I had found the calf next pass I ran over it

That stinks, fall calving, just three, is done here and I almost ran one over the other day. I now just walk out to check on them or fix fence, which is better for me anyway.

I have brush hogged into fawns, rabits, feral house cats. Never a calf, knock on wood. I move them from pasture to pasture all year. It could happen if one was left in hiding and you didn't know it was born. I try to keep a watch on them.

The neighbor, who is 82, is who hit it. He thought it was another neighbor's dog, known for chasing the cows when he first saw it. His next trip around, he saw it was a calf. If it's not one thing, it's another.

Latest posts