Rotational/MiG

Help Support CattleToday:

gimpyrancher

Reaction score
Is it the number of separate areas that is important?
I saw a reference to splitting up an 80 acre parcel in 8X 10 acres plots.
If I had 160 acres, would I make 16X 10 acre plots or 8X 20 acres plots?
Do I only need 4 separate lots, no matter what the size or is the key number 8?

I'l trying to figure out how to split up my property for this type of grazing.

Agmanto may help you, he has a nice setup that he has shown pics of. He may chime in soon. But be prepaired he only likes black cows :lol:

gimpyrancher

From one gimp to a girmpyrancher, sure I will help you if you can tolerate me. Some things I post are taken out of text and others are considered lies or only adaptable to the square foot of ground I am standing on. If you are in this for hobby, I may reconsider my offer. If you are in this for profit I am your man and I will go the extra mile. You interested?

gimpyrancher":1oktm8if said:
Is it the number of separate areas that is important?
I saw a reference to splitting up an 80 acre parcel in 8X 10 acres plots.
If I had 160 acres, would I make 16X 10 acre plots or 8X 20 acres plots?
Do I only need 4 separate lots, no matter what the size or is the key number 8?

I'l trying to figure out how to split up my property for this type of grazing.

I have 4 seperate plots of 40,20,20 and 173 respective acres...it ain't so great. No way I can get the rest period for selective spots of grass.

In rotational grazing the paddock size open tothe cattle at any given time should be the amount of grass they can eat from about 10" tall down to 4" tall in a time period of from one to seven days.

This area required will vary based on the size and makeup of your herd, the condition of your grass, etc.

It is not practical to permanently fence these paddocks. The idea is to establish good permanent perimeter fences that work whether the power is on or off. Then subdivide the interior with semi-permanent divider fences and usually lanes that provide access to water and yet can be easily reduced in size yet again with easily moveabLe electric cross wires.

I have one area where I use log rectangular subdivisions and then keep advancing a cross wire with no back fences. In another irregular shaped field I use temporay electric wires in a pie shape from a water tank. Not the best way but it works in this field... Rotational grazing is part art, part improvisation esp at first.

The key is to only give them enough area to clean up but not scalp the vegetation in 3-4 days ideally.

Putting a dozen cattle on 20 acres for a couple days or weeks rather than on 80 acres is still not rotational grazing. They will still eat just the best grass and leave everything else to go to seed. Jmho and experience.
Good luck. Jim

Jim,

Sorry it took so long to get back to this. Yes I'm interested. I plan on living there and making it profitable. Don't have to support an army but I want to insure my family's future, hopefully, on this land.

I have 160 acres I want to use. It's a mile long and a quarter mile wide. Want to build a home on it and need to create the roads. So I get to start from scratch and create what I want. I'll start as small or large as I need to to create better soil for following next years. I think I'm going to bite the bullet and create a new perimeter fence. It's there on two sides but it's not in great shape. A friend's dad works for JD and will be my operator for some rental heavy equipment.

Gotta figure out how to design my division for future use. Very limited forage to start with. But hard work can change that. Not going anywhere soon. Presently reading "No Risk Ranching" and am getting ideas. :tiphat:

gimpyrancher

There are a few things that need to be known prior to starting.
Where are you located as the the growing zone?
What do you plan on doing regarding water for the herd?
Are you planning on being a calf producer only?
Do you have trees on the 160 acres for shade?
I understand the shape of the place, are there any true physical obstacles?
Where will the home be on the rectangle?
What is the typical carrying capacity per acre and for how many months out of the year in your location?
The above will do for a starter.

Agmantoo,

Spent since this morning reading years of your posts on the subject.

> Where are you located as the the growing zone?

High Desert of South Central Oregon.

> What do you plan on doing regarding water for the herd?

I have a seasonal river and fair size seasonal private lake. Well is in the immediate future with little depth. No more than 20 feet elevation change and mate up with a protected wetlands on one end. Tanks around the property if necessary.

> Are you planning on being a calf producer only?

No. Want the whole shebang. I want this to be a year round operation.

> Do you have trees on the 160 acres for shade?

The property is part of a very large cattle operation that was split up a few years ago. A lot of mid growth Lodgepole Pine and Aspen stands. Will be clearing some to build our home and more for stock. Enough open land to start things off.

> I understand the shape of the place, are there any true physical obstacles?

Just the idiot owner (me). No obstacles. Property is paid off.

I live outside of Sacramento for another 2 years. This weekend I'll be up there to meet a friend's dad that works for JD, heavy equipment. I need to cut roads and divide the property. It's raw forest land at the moment w/some open spaces. Plenty of small size trees to clear out. It was cleared off of debris almost 10 years ago.

> Where will the home be on the rectangle?

Haven't decided yet. Putting together a smooth transition for cattle seems my first interest. The house can go anywhere that is left. Could put it on the end where I'd be forced to look out over a 10-20 sq mile wetland valley with Antelope roaming free.

> What is the typical carrying capacity per acre and for how many months out of the year in your location?

Haven't met with the guv'ment guy yet. Not much as it is. I need to work it to create great fertile soil. I've been told it's under one per acre. But not by a local expert.

The above will do for a starter.

I think I have a unique chance to develop this into the perfect, productive set-up.

This will not be a retirement hobby. I want and need to make an income. While I'll be debt free, I still want and need an income from my work.

gimpyrancher":3gxt3zwy said:
Agmantoo,

> Where are you located as the the growing zone?
What USDA growing zone?

> What do you plan on doing regarding water for the herd?

It appears that water should not be an issue other that the placement of the locations.

> Are you planning on being a calf producer only?
What do you intend to market, calves, fed animals, replacement breeding stock,etc?

No. Want the whole shebang. I want this to be a year round operation.
I had anticipated you would be in the cattle business year round

> Do you have trees on the 160 acres for shade?
Another none issue item then.

> I understand the shape of the place, are there any true physical obstacles?
Other than the home site and the lake nothing is in the way and the rest of the 160 acres is usable?

> Where will the home be on the rectangle?
Just remember that the access road needs to be convenient to the home and to the farm layout.

> What is the typical carrying capacity per acre and for how many months out of the year in your location?
This information is needed. The layout will be influenced by the headcount, particularly the broodcows.

I think I have a unique chance to develop this into the perfect, productive set-up.

I have yet to see the perfect setup. With a lot of planning you may get closer however

This will not be a retirement hobby. I want and need to make an income.

There is no reason that something you like and enjoy should not be profitable.
Rotational grazing, done right, is one of the more profitable ventures associated with cattle.