Rotational Grazing

Help Support CattleToday:

tnwalkingred

Reaction score
I live in middle TN and am fixing to buy a few heifers that I plan to AI and raise calves off of. I have about 10 acres of good pasture and I was wondering how many cattle I could run on this property if I did some cross fencing and did rotational grazing? My plan is to buy two heifers now and a few more in the fall depending on how well I think the pasture will hold up. I've also been told that there are goverment programs that will help with cross fencing but I can't seem to find any info about them online. Thanks for any input.

Talk to your local NRCS folks. They handle the programs you're talking about.

Not too many on 10 acres, I would guess 2-3 acres per AU

and

do your pride and our country a favor and don't look for Gov't hand outs. Some posts and high tensile wire for a few cross fencing aint much and if that is too much well then stay out of cattle.

Scroote":28jklziq said:
Not too many on 10 acres, I would guess 2-3 acres per AU

and

do your pride and our country a favor and don't look for Gov't hand outs. Some posts and high tensile wire for a few cross fencing aint much and if that is too much well then stay out of cattle.

:clap: I'll second that!

On that sort of area you could just use temporary cross fencing. Easy to move every day, or two, and leaves field open for any tractor work you may want to do.