Roans and Reds

Help Support CattleToday:

Coyote

Reaction score
Here are some pictures of some of our 2 yr old bulls.
This bull is sired by a bull from the 1960's, Cummberland Gay lad
5x-Copy.jpg

Another bull sired by a bull from the sixty's
4x-Copy.jpg

22x1x032-Copy.jpg

BSX29Xwithhalterremoved-Copy.jpg

71x-Copy.jpg

33x68x030-Copy-1.jpg

61x1.jpg

Tell us more about the first couple of fellas.
The first bull is sired like I said by Cummberland Gay Lad, here is some info on him, http://www.rlshorthorns.com/cumberland_gay_lad.htm

The second bull is sired by Bonnyview Hero 7Z and here is some info that Justintime put up on Steerplanet.
"Bonnyview Hero 7Z is a bull that was born in the 60s. He was sired by HD Commander's Hero X who was an American Polled Congress Champion that was purchased by Bonnyview Farms and South Plain Farm here in Saskatchewan. I think they paid $3700 for him, which was pretty big money in the 60s. He was a powerful bull then and would be now. 7Z was from a cow named Nupar Ridgemaid X by Nupar Cherrio x. The Nupar herd was owned by Frank Fox, Lloydminster, SK ( Frank was a brother of Jonathon Fox of Justamere fame). Jonathon and Frank were in partnership in the Nupar herd for awhile when they were young. Frank Fox refused to use the smaller framed cattle of the 60s and he kept his herd bigger framed than most others. The Nupar herd was the base for many of the Ball Dee and Four Point herds and are in the backgrounds of bulls like, Ball Dee Perfect Count, Four Point Major and numerous others. Another thing that made the Nupar herd unique at that time was that it was one of the few polled herds."

What was it you were trying to accomplish with the older genetics?
I guess it was a couple things we were trying to accomplish.
We thought these bulls had something still to offer to the breed, one being leaving offspring that are easy keeping, lower birth wts, along with putting some new (old) genetics back into Shorthorns.
I was real surprised on how well they compared to our other bulls. I thought they would be short and dumpy with no grow but they grew well. The top roan bull is one of our heavest and longest bulls that we will be selling this year.

Coyote":2aur21bb said:
What was it you were trying to accomplish with the older genetics?
I guess it was a couple things we were trying to accomplish.
We thought these bulls had something still to offer to the breed, one being leaving offspring that are easy keeping, lower birth wts, along with putting some new (old) genetics back into Shorthorns.
I was real surprised on how well they compared to our other bulls. I thought they would be short and dumpy with no grow but grew well. The top roan bull is one of our heavest and longest bulls that we will be selling this year.

Well it would seem the experiment was a success. That first bull was my favorite. Good luck with the sales. By using those "vintage" sires, you might be the one with something new different and exciting this year.

really neat to read about those old shorthorn genetics, and nice bulls as well. i like the 4th one myself.

Latest posts