Roaching?

Help Support CattleToday:

FFAgal

Reaction score
My daughter showed a red angus heifer at our local fair this last weekend and the judge said the heifer had some roaching(?) (at least that's what we thought he said) when she walked. He mentioned the same thing when some of the steers were out in the ring. Can anyone tell me what he referring to? Also is there any websites that talk about hooks and pins and what we are to look for in a show steer prospect for next year?
Thanks!

"Hook" is the hip bone. "Pin" is the pin bone. The pin bone is located below the tailhead. Between those two bones, you want your heifer to be level. Roaching is walking with a curved back. The rear legs walk up under the animal, and they tend to walk over the front legs. At one of the shows this year, a judge said the same thing. Ours was caused by recently trimmed hooves, and showing on a hard, rocky surface.

I think roaching is narrow behind the shoulders. Not filled out enough.

Raoching is when the calf walks with his back curved up towards the sky. And they don't always walk over there front feet. my heifer used to do it all the time but now that she is in a huge pasture where she can get out and move she don't do it any more but she only did it because she was muscle bound. that could be a reason along with the other things 6M Ranch said.

Grand Chaser":3pwl407c said:
Raoching is when the calf walks with his back curved up towards the sky. And they don't always walk over there front feet. my heifer used to do it all the time but now that she is in a huge pasture where she can get out and move she don't do it any more but she only did it because she was muscle bound. that could be a reason along with the other things 6M Ranch said.

I agree...sometimes an animal will not overcome the tendency to roach. In addition, if your animal is extremely fast growing (length and frame) they will roach a little, but will usually overcome this with maturity in this case.

Thanks for the info. Also thanks Jeanne for the links-there is quite a wealth of information on them. My daughter is new to showing this year and although we have raised beef for about 15 years now, her dad nor I have ever shown much less have a real clue on how to help her. She has done really well for her first year though. Her steer was light weight and of course the lightest in the barn, but she did take a second with him. Her heifer took first blue in the summer yearling class and was up for grand female, but didn't make it because of the roaching. She also decided she would try her hand at showmanship and was thrilled to take second blue in the intermediate class with 9 other kids competeing! She doesn't post on the boards here, but reads them daily to learn any tips! You guys are great here!

sorry I guess i was wrong. I was thinking roached like a goat.

We have a steer that is kinda straighed legged. This may be what he has too.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3bmr2oxm said:
She did great. I think showmanship is the most important class. Showmanship is MANDATORY not selective out here. At least at all the shows that I've previously been supervisor :p
:lol: I think it oughta be. I don't understand why more kids don't do it. It was more enjoyable (for me) than showing my steer (prolly cause I hardly ever won. :lol:)

Latest posts