Ritchie Waterer

Help Support CattleToday:

TennesseeTuxedo":2irgknuv said:
Believe it or not some folks think waterers are an unnecessary extravagance and waste of money.

I am not one of them but they do exist.
Who? I want to know...

TCRanch":1xwdcqj5 said:
Which means I get dirty & Supa Dexta doesn't - plus he has more fun.

I don't know TC, whenever I use a pressure washer I seem to end up with a lot of $hit over me from all the ricochet.

Ken

Why does Richie not put the drain in the bottom of their waterers? I scrub mine with a stiff brush and cleaner, but then you can't drain the crap out.

Its nice to have water where you need it. But i really do hate these waterers. There always seems to be something going on with them. Two of our three are constantly having to be tinkered on. The float assembly gets worn out in no time. Flexes and bends. I have been exploring the equipment tire idea. Any of y'all do the tire route? Any other ideas?

Our 2 site Richie's don't allow enough animals to drink at a given time. When we get numbers where we want it will be an issue i am pretty sure.

I love the tires. Mine has the float maybe 20 ft from the tire inside a culvert pipe. The level in the tire will always be the same as in the culvert. That way even if a cow or calf got into the tire there is nothing to go wrong. And because the culvert is underground the float never freezes.

If you are rotating on a small area the cows will not all come to drink at the same time. Try that and see if it makes a difference. Mine come 2-3 at a time .

Have cut all the fields in half this last year. Still need to cut them in half once more if not twice. Unfortulately the water is my limiting factor as far as cutting pastures up more. That's been on my mind big time since it's cooled down.

Our water sites are on fence lines with the hay fields all but one. Which has not helped us at all. Whomever made that decision needs a good talking to. Haha. The one site not built into a fence line is smack in the middle of a 30 acre field. Now it's on a fence line with 12 acres on one side, 18 on the other. Still too big.

The way this farm was fenced 60 years ago is a real pain in the side! So I'm thinking we need roughly 5 more waterers. Possibly 6.

It worked fine the way they grazed. Probably worked great! But it's been the biggest problem i have contended with.

Make the fences in a wagon wheel design with the water tank being the center of the wheel. At the wheel make that small area usable no matter which field they are grazing.
Use temporary fence to try different designs until to find what works best for you.

TennesseeTuxedo":vtqyx38o said:
Believe it or not some folks think waterers are an unnecessary extravagance and waste of money.

Used Combine tires are free, 1/4 yard of concrete is 25 bucks, Jobe float is 40 bucks. Will last my lifetime. The boys will push all my cow stuff up in a pile when I'm gone so its all good.

jedstivers":3n95o48h said:
TennesseeTuxedo":3n95o48h said:

Used Combine tires are free, 1/4 yard of concrete is 25 bucks, Jobe float is 40 bucks. Will last my lifetime. The boys will push all my cow stuff up in a pile when I'm gone so its all good.

And that's freeze proof?

TennesseeTuxedo":2y7iobx4 said:
jedstivers":2y7iobx4 said:
TennesseeTuxedo":2y7iobx4 said:

And that's freeze proof?

That's the claim ,

http://www.giantrubberwatertanks.com/