Riding Small Pony

Help Support CattleToday:

Simply Bovine

Reaction score
I would like to train my pony to ride. However I think she is too unsafe for a child to train. I was wondering if I'm too big to train her? She is 10+hh and almost 500lbs. I am 5.5" and under 110lb. She pulls a cart no problem and seems very athletic. She is coming 3 this summer and has good bone in her legs. I talked to some folks in the UK online and they thought it would be fine. However ponies over there are much chunkier.

I have put my weight on her back in the stall and she seems fine. Doesn't even stop chewing her hay.

I think your vet would be the most reasonable person to ask for advice on this one! Are you estimating her weight, or do you have a scale? Be careful as she is still growing! Even though you're not heavy, your height makes you a bit of a balance issue in my thinking. You say she pull a cart--do you lead her or drive her? If she is driving, then there shouldn't be too much trouble getting her to carry a rider of suitable size. Are you wanting to train her for children or yourself? What breed is she?

My pony sounds similiar to yours. In my opinion you should wait another year. Sitting on her now is fine, but in a years time she should be ready to walk and trot over the countryside. She will strengthen and fill out alot over the year. Riding little ponies is very amusing, obviously bareback - I highly recommend tying a soft thick rope around her neck to help you keep your balance until she figures thing out - it'll save wear and tear on her mouth.

Yes she drives without being lead. She figured out how to work the shafts very quickly. She can turn the cart around on a dime. She has the nicest high kneed trot you could ever want. She looks a bit like a hackney when she trots. But, her body is so solid that she also resembles a draft horse in harness. She is like a big horse that got shrunkin'.

She's been ground driven since she was just six months. I just put the driving bridle on her and the sircingle(sp?) and off we went. We didn't really work, we just went on a walk around the yard. She loves driving and working. I've always tried to make work fun for her. I guess what I'm trying to say is I think she is pretty mature mentally. She is a lot more mature then the average 2 year old. But, I know her body isn't done growing. So the riding thing will have to wait.

The main reason I wanted to start riding her is because she needs exercise and I don't always have a "knowledgeable" helper to get the cart on her. With riding I can just hop on and we can make a couple loops of the pasture and we're done. However, eventually I would like to be able to have a kid ride her.

Dollie is a "mini", however her mother wasn't registered and looked more like a classic shetland. Her father was a registered 28" mini. Dollie grew up and looks just like her mom. She has that shetland look and the shetland "naughtiness". Also she is THICK like a shetland. Her back is wide and muscled. She isn't too fat, but she is muscled. You can feel them when she moves.

I weighted her with a weight tape. I know it's not the most accurate, but it's helped me keep track of if she is gaining too much weight(as ponies tend too). According to the weight tape she's gained about a hundred pounds in the last year. Also she's gotten a lot taller and her legs have gotten a lot thicker. The weight gain and growth in the height have slowed down dramatically these past couple months. Also she is starting to look and act more grown up.

I would imagine that circling at the end of a lounge-line would be sufficient exercise if hitching her up is too much trouble. you could also teach her to pull objects to increase stregnth (tires, maybe?) But be careful doing that--some horses will flip out!

I actually have never taught her to lunge. I'm not sure why, but that would be a good thing for her know as well as being good exercise.

Also we sometimes just go for walks for exercise. She needs to get used to traffic and dogs, etc anyway. Walks seem to be a good way to get her used to that. She is so attatched to my gelding that getting her to go with me is hard. But, I think that it's good for her to learn to be brave and go out with me. That way when I drive/ride her out in the future she will be bold with strange things.

I would suggest lunging also. It's just another task that helps shape minds of our youngsters...I'm sure she'll love it.

Pony her off the gelding for exercise if you can. I would not lunge her though. Lunging is one of the worst thing for a young horse. It forces them to circle putting unneeded pressure on thier joints. It also works against thier instincts and thier reactions.

I think you would be ok to ride her at a walk and maybe some trotting. I would not canter her under saddle with your weight until she was older. Maybe 4. When riding or packing horses you figure that they should carry no more then 1/5th thier body weight. So you are the maximum that she can carry.

If you want to get her exercise and have fun try Parelli Natural Horsemanship. All the horses I deal with love it. From the ponies to the draft horse I have.

http://www.parelli.com

Latest posts