Rhubarb

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
Been watching our few rhubarb for a few weeks one has had some green breaking through the ground and now has some small leaves starting, and this morning another has a little green leaf coming through. I start anticipating spring and watching for signs of it early, keeps me hopeful as I absolutely hate winter.

We are quite a ways away from that point here, though it did hit +37 degrees today. No lie, people up here get out their t-shirts (some even shorts) when we get a break like this. Back to reality by Friday they are saying though... We actually had to plant our rhubarb in tire containers so everyone stopped hitting it with the Roundup!

Boot Jack Bulls":1a5vp62g said:
We are quite a ways away from that point here, though it did hit +37 degrees today. No lie, people up here get out their t-shirts (some even shorts) when we get a break like this. Back to reality by Friday they are saying though... We actually had to plant our rhubarb in tire containers so everyone stopped hitting it with the Roundup!

Good idea about the tire containers, I have to admit I have taken out some rhubarb with Roundup too :hide: :lol2:

Boot Jack Bulls":2unb1fxm said:
We actually had to plant our rhubarb in tire containers so everyone stopped hitting it with the Roundup!

I would think that a tire could get too hot?

Did you fill a big tire with dirt, or just drop a car tire over it for protection, or ?

Stocker Steve":2ix7us0a said:
Boot Jack Bulls":2ix7us0a said:
We actually had to plant our rhubarb in tire containers so everyone stopped hitting it with the Roundup!

Did you fill a big tire with dirt, or just drop a car tire over it for protection, or ?

Steve, we actually use tractor tires for all our veggie gardens. They are simply laid on side, with face up sidewall cut out. Ours are filled nearly to the top with black dirt from our barn/lots. For the top 6 inches or so we use a potting soil, since the ground is clay here, even the "black dirt" from the barn and lots gets wayyyy to heavy for veggies. We actually use the empty protein tubs in the middle of the tire beds to create a terrace effect too. The really nice part is not having to hoe a garden or bust out the tiller. A person can just give them a quick once over with a hand tiller and pick weeds easily. They actually don't look nearly as red-neck as they sound!
We haven't had issues with them getting to hot, but they do seem to dry out easily. Having to water more frequently is the trade off for having good soil to plant in, in this case. Where we are, there is just no point in trying to grow veggies in a traditional garden. The soil is just too heavy, even after several attempts to improve it.

Stocker Steve":nhmgfcxt said:
Boot Jack Bulls":nhmgfcxt said:

Steve, we actually use big tractor tires for all our veggie gardens. They are simply laid on side, with face up sidewall cut out. Ours are filled nearly to the top with black dirt from our barn/lots. For the top 6 inches or so we use a potting soil, since the ground is clay here, even the "black dirt" from the barn and lots gets wayyyy to heavy for veggies. We actually use the empty protein tubs in the middle of the tire beds to create a terrace effect too. The really nice part is not having to hoe a garden or bust out the tiller. A person can just give them a quick once over with a hand tiller and pick weeds easily. They actually don't look nearly as red-neck as they sound!
We haven't had issues with them getting to hot, but they do seem to dry out easily. Having to water more frequently is the trade off for having good soil to plant in, in this case. Where we are, there is just no point in trying to grow veggies in a traditional garden. The soil is just too heavy, even after several attempts to improve it.

Stocker Steve":2ibc2ntt said:
Side wall cut out on top and bottom?
We didn't cut out the bottom sidewall, but I suppose you could. It's just extra work for the sawzall, and I'm not sure it would make any difference...

:hide: Think the rain will hurt it? :hide: :lol:
I happen to like pie above all other sweets and desserts, and the best I ever had was a strawberry/rhubarb pie in (of all places) a Denny's Restaurant ..Elk City Okla.
I had a slice, then bought the whole pie and took it back to the motel with me.

I have made a good strawberry/rhubarb cobbler recently (canned ingredients), but it wasn't nearly as good as that pie.

Ky hills":9pkgunlw said:
Been watching our few rhubarb for a few weeks one has had some green breaking through the ground and now has some small leaves starting, and this morning another has a little green leaf coming through. I start anticipating spring and watching for signs of it early, keeps me hopeful as I absolutely hate winter.

Good idea, however I have checked mine 5 times today, and still no green leaves ? :bang: