Rethinking

Help Support CattleToday:

Frankie

Reaction score
We'd pretty well decided to take a seven year old cow to the sale barn this spring with her calf. She's a Krugerrand/EXT cow. Her first bull calf (PFred) was a good one. The others have only been so so. We're going to have to move some mouths this coming spring, so she fit the bill: fairly young, sound, good udder, calm disposition, attractive. But now we've got the first report on her Foresight bull calf on test. May have to rethink.....

Hmm, always fun trying to figure the why. Is finally getting the right bull for the cow that made a mediocre cow have a good calf or is it the stars finally lined up right. Kind of the opposite of the cow that always has a good calf then comes up with a dud.

Your business and mine are different, I realize that. For me, the exception of a good cow having a so-so calf is usually overlooked (maybe once). On the other hand a cow that usually has only so-so calves and finally has a nice one isn't going to have that advantage.

We bred the same cow to the same bull for 6 years. the first five were great calves the 6th was a loser. She's now had 3 more calves by 3 different bulls and everyone is a winner. Sometimes the genes just line up really right or really worng.

Its no different with people. Siblings might all be short with one giant or vic versa.

Walt

bigbull338":1ucxh2gy said:
dont ya just love when a cow is on the cull list then she jumps off.

She hasn't jumped off the cull list yet. We've got several heifers we want to retain, so sombody's got to go. Most of her calves were decent calves, though one of her daughters is also on the cull list, a 2005 model. The one bull calf that we hauled to the sale barn weaned well enough, but he was a strange looking calf. Looked like he was put together with spare parts.

Frankie":2z1xkmdu said:
bigbull338":2z1xkmdu said:
dont ya just love when a cow is on the cull list then she jumps off.

She hasn't jumped off the cull list yet. We've got several heifers we want to retain, so sombody's got to go. Most of her calves were decent calves, though one of her daughters is also on the cull list, a 2005 model. The one bull calf that we hauled to the sale barn weaned well enough, but he was a strange looking calf. Looked like he was put together with spare parts.
That's ther way the loser was. Gained well finished mid choice YG3 but didn;t look like anything worth keeping. Spare parts is a good description

Her first bull calf (PFred) was a good one. The others have only been so so.

"Every bull or cow is only as good as the average performance of its progeny"

Gavin Falloon
Pinebank Angus

Frankie":1sn8dc0m said:
We'd pretty well decided to take a seven year old cow to the sale barn this spring with her calf. She's a Krugerrand/EXT cow. Her first bull calf (PFred) was a good one. The others have only been so so. We're going to have to move some mouths this coming spring, so she fit the bill: fairly young, sound, good udder, calm disposition, attractive. But now we've got the first report on her Foresight bull calf on test. May have to rethink.....

Send Northern Rancher an email - he loves EXT cattle - I am sure he would take her off your hands :D

[Bez]

[Bez said:
":2taz5gwl]
Frankie":2taz5gwl said:

Send Northern Rancher an email - he loves EXT cattle - I am sure he would take her off your hands :D

[Bez]

Naw. EXT is her grandsire; I think he prefers them closer up in the pedigree. :lol: We did get the official report on her calf. Even though he's gaining well, he's still the lightest bull of the bunch. So guess she's still headed for the sale barn when her calf arrives.

Latest posts