Rethinking

Help Support CattleToday:

kucala5

Reaction score
Found this little guy dead this morning...almost a week old. We think he got stepped on in the barn. Got him and 2 others through the negative temps and now this. Mama is breaking my heart. Thinking this isn't for me anymore. Damned if you do...EA2EC6D3-D28D-4825-B6B2-1550C8A786A8.jpeg

Cute little rascal. Getting stepped on is a bigger problem when they are in close quarters. Confinement in a pen or stall or when feeding. Cows want to get to the feed and tend to walk on the calves - at least stepping on and breaking legs/feet.

Went out to the barn this morning, found a 3 day old one dead. Looked like he had been stepped on by the way it laying. We had colostrumed him and helped him nurse the cow the night the night before. It was a disheartening thing as we have really worked with our calves this year trying to stay on top of things. Sometimes things just happen even if you try do everything you know to do.

Went out to the barn this morning, found a 3 day old one dead. Looked like he had been stepped on by the way it laying. We had colostrumed him and helped him nurse the cow the night the night before. It was a disheartening thing as we have really worked with our calves this year trying to stay on top of things. Sometimes things just happen even if you try do everything you know to do.
So sorry, it's hard for sure. We try to be good stewards as well.

We moved our calving season to March-April two years ago due to February weather losses. Last year I had second thoughts but this year reaffirmed the decision.
I've debated it for several years, if and it's a big if weather wise, all goes well I really like our early calves but this winter I've decided those bulls are staying put until almost June.

Found this little guy dead this morning...almost a week old. We think he got stepped on in the barn. Got him and 2 others through the negative temps and now this. Mama is breaking my heart. Thinking this isn't for me anymore. Damned if you do...View attachment 2472
😔😢
I've been known to graft an orphan or two in the past. Hate to waste a lactation. And mama will love again...

Sure makes me feel better. I dont rethink things that way. Keeps me busy helping the new pair get to being family..

You dont have any control what happened in the barn.
..... did what you could do, you saved two from freezing!

Had one old cow that calved last week, same thing as you. Made it four days. The bulk of my calves will come March-May, I hate this weather for calving. I agree With Johann Seitzmann, calve when the largest local wild ruminant does. That would be whitetails around here. Why fight nature?

Everybody that raises cattle has probably felt the same way after loosing something. for some, it is like loosing a little part of yourself if you have given them a little special attention like saving them from the cold or help them start nursing on mommy. hope you have good luck with the rest of your calving season and hang in there for better days.

I'm on edge right now for that very reason. Good luck with yours.
Thanks, but the first one didn't make it. She had him in the best possible place, in the woods and surrounded by cedars. I took out a bale for bedding that night (with a headlamp on my hat), checked his tongue and it was nice & warm. He was nursing like a champ and was very active the next couple days, even a little bucking when I saw him yesterday late afternoon. Dead this morning, laying with his head downhill but his stomach was still full. Stepped on? Couldn't get up & suffocated? Residual effects from the epic cold? Dunno. Always hurts.

There is nothing the cattle business that affects the bottom line more than a live calf. The best time to calve is when the ambient temperature
is not a threat to the life of the calf. The weight that I lost through calving in sync with nature is made up in live calves sold, no med$, shelters,
time wasted looking for calves instead of counting calves. Pulling calves is another waste of time that for the most part can be eliminated with
a little common sense in heifer and bull selection. (I will get skewered for that!) It is the No Sale or One time sales that fail the profit test.
Nothing ,just happens, in this business. There is always a cause and a subsequent consequence be it good or bad. Will they all live, NO
Can more be saved by calving in sync with nature, Yes

Found this little guy dead this morning...almost a week old. We think he got stepped on in the barn. Got him and 2 others through the negative temps and now this. Mama is breaking my heart. Thinking this isn't for me anymore. Damned if you do...View attachment 2472
Hang in there. It's the people that dont feel any thing that dont need to be raising cattle.

Latest posts