Retained Ownership II

Help Support CattleToday:

Farminlund

Reaction score
I posted the below message in the "Feedlot" section today; but I think unless many check out all the various sections of these boards (I don't), that maybe the right folk may not see it (never thought to go there as I don't run a feedlot).

Sorry for the duplicate posting but please understand I'm trying to get the widest exposure possible.

I did a search on retained ownership & found but one helpful thread in the feedlot seciton - posted last year by Aero.

Do any follow this practice & what are the opinions relative to increased profits for the owner. Land limits my herd size & lack of facilities & knowhow curtails my ability to take my calves through the feedlot phase & then to slaughter. I think my cattle have good growing genes & thus high grading/yielding capacity, but this would be a whole new adventure.

Anyone know of someone in the VA area that I might be able to hook up with (the one web site I did find from the above mentioned search was in SC)? I guess I should check with the local extension agent & the VA Cattleman's Association - any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any & all comments on the subject.

Unfortunately I don't know anything about a program in your area, but here in Texas the extension service and A & M have a really good program called "Ranch to Rail". You can check out their web site at the A & M site for information, and possibly check with your extension there and see if they offer anything like it.

Are you a member of the Central Va Cattleman's Association? Someone in that organization might have info on this type of thing. Here's their website address:

http://www.cvcacattle.com

They're having a meeting tomorrow night in Orange; if I get a chance, I'll ask about this and let you know.

Latest posts