Results for this year's beef.

Help Support CattleToday:

mudfork

Reaction score
Someone may find this interesting, or I may learn from the comments. Anyway here are the results of this year's finishing of 9 steers and one stag. They were angus stock, with a few having simmental mixed. The animals were bought on March 15, five were butchered on 9/14, the other 5 on 10/11. They were on good grass and clover pasture during this time. I fed a little training grain all along, but hit them with a little over 1% of body weight a day of 50/50 corn/corn gluten for the last 90 days. The first ton and a half or so of fed also had 10% soybean meal mixed in. The first number below is the weight on 3/15, the second the live weight at butcher, the third is the hanging weight. The first listed was the stag.

516 - 1212 - 691
750 - 1203 - 722
566 - 957 - 574
598 - 1011 - 617
594 - 1003 - 601
658 - 1028 - 616
489 - 1040 - 624
474 - 1093 - 667
463 - 903 - 542
364 - 806 - 484

There it is. Gotta go put my thick skin on. ;-)

Means nothing without the $$$$
The goal is to make money- then identify what you can change to make more money next time.
Your dressing % may be low- but if your cost/lb was low enough or your $/lb sold was high enough- it wouldn't matter.
You weight gain seems a little low(for a good finish)- but if you still managed to sell them for enough money(and people were happy with their purchase) - it wouldn't matter.

Bought them at 1.65 a pound live weight in the spring. Sold them at 2.40 a pound hanging weight. I use no hormones or antibiotics. What ideas do yall want to throw out regarding increasing the yield percentage? And for that matter, what yield percentage would be good for grass/grain raised animals. I have been doing this for 4 years, and have never had complaints. However, if I can do better by my customers I will.

I have some regular customers that specifically ask for smaller animals. Just trying to keep everybody happy.

mudfork":1mxmk8nb said:
I have some regular customers that specifically ask for smaller animals. Just trying to keep everybody happy.

Any idea why they want them so small? I don't get it. Have you asked them?

They tend to think they will be more tender and leaner. To each his own, but I'm eating a 1200 pounder.

shaz":1wyvaenh said:
mudfork":1wyvaenh said:

Any idea why they want them so small? I don't get it. Have you asked them?
Small freezer?? ;-)

the dressing on em really depends on what theyre eating when they got slaughtered. if theyre still on real thick green grass itll be better than if theyre transfering onto hay or wintering feeds ..idk what its like it wv on oct 14

Latest posts