Respiratory and Pinkeye Epidemic

Help Support CattleToday:

Margonme

Reaction score
I am halter breaking my fall calves ranging in age from 4 to 8 weeks old. I noticed that Grand Bart was wheezing. I put my ear at several locations along his lungs and although I heard no sign of fluids, IT WAS RASPY. My son had asthma and still does. I regularly checked him out with a stethoscope and could tell when it was time to get assistance.

I decided to get a syringe of Draxxin for Grand Bart. At the vet office in Maysville, I was told that respiratory issues are their number one call for assistance. The office assistant said they are seeing a respiratory epidemic and producers are losing calves. Also, Pinkeye is continuing to be a major problem. They are sampling and trying to determine the cause of the respiratory problem. If it is viral, then antibiotics are not going to treat the source but it will treat any secondary infections.

I think my issue is caused by the unusual dry air. There has been very low humidity and no moisture for weeks.

Temperature fluctuations are to blame for the respiratory problems, draxxin will be your best remedy. 5 CCS of la200 on site of the eye will eliminate pinkeye

Yeah, we're having 70 degree days, and 30 degree nights. Dry air, and lots of dust. It's like the perfect storm for a lunger. I've lost one myself.

I would think the dry air and low humidity would be good for man and beast. Isn't that why people move to Arizona?

Banjo":2d5x1f0e said:
I would think the dry air and low humidity would be good for man and beast. Isn't that why people move to Arizona?

A misconception. My son has asthma and he does better in a humid environment.

Margonme":mkf9ua74 said:
Banjo":mkf9ua74 said:

A misconception. My son has asthma and he does better in a humid environment.

Well a humid-damp environment is almost as bad as a dusty environment for me. Maybe it's different for emphysema but the same medicine works for both lung symptoms. Maybe what works for one person might not work for another?

Latest posts