Replacements

Help Support CattleToday:

snoopdog

Reaction score
What do you think of these girls ,and which do you like the best? All born august through October.
This wf, is one that didn't come from the genetical ancestors , her mom got out and rather get her up, the owner sold her.

The makeup of this one I also like , the dark red one
It's hard to tell about the black one in the pic, but she was one of the first born , from a mother that is just right in every way , the red one is out of a braunviegh cow. All have the same RA sire . Except for the big steer in front , pretty sure his daddy is a balancer bull.

Nice group of calves with a bit of substance to them but can't really see much of your individual replacements. The red one in the middle photo probably got the best look at and she seems like a nice type but still can't see enough to appraise.

Ken

Ken, I can't seem to convince them to move where the light is good , lol. They are coming to 45 days weaned , so we'll be loading most of them this week , see how it goes , if I can get my picks separated . Facilities here were more designed to load all, but made some changes this weekend .

yep, I like the dark red one best, the lighter red one looks a little light in the back end.. WF probably my second pick

I have problems getting side shots of them, they're always chasing me

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2lc8njze said:
Nesi - you confused me. He has a red, a red WF and a black heifer in those pictures???
My pick is the RWF, but they all look good.
I have one red WF cow, compliments of the neighbors bull ( :bang: ) but she's by far one of my faves and I'm partial to both the reds in Snoop's pics. The black looks waaaaay smaller. That said, whether I retain is contingent on their pelvic measurements and I've been completely surprised by the results many times. Big girls with big butts don't always mean big pelvic measurements.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":3119u2ui said:
Nesi - you confused me. He has a red, a red WF and a black heifer in those pictures???
Confused me also Jeanne , but you're correct , I think the black girl has traces of red tint to her hide. I'm not a very good photographer , the rwf is the youngest by 2 weeks and definitely shows the sire in her. TC, the black girl isn't as thick , but she is longer , they are all the same height , again I can't take a picture . I should have looked at my records before I posted the first post , the black and the solid red were 2 days apart and they were all born in oct, my bad. Interesting , to me at least , we did not have one red boy this crop. The end of octoberthis year will decide who goes and stays among the cows, we will be culling hard, at vaccination time . But I am hoping these girls will take up some of the slack and I will cultivate them here and not on the lease until they calve the first time , if conditions permit .

If your using a black bull. I would not use solid red cows. Calves come out brown. Looks like my heard , until I sold the solid red cows. Kept Herefords. Get them pregnant and sell them. Double your money.

TCRanch":14chp3ye said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":14chp3ye said:
I have one red WF cow, compliments of the neighbors bull ( :bang: ) but she's by far one of my faves and I'm partial to both the reds in Snoop's pics. The black looks waaaaay smaller. That said, whether I retain is contingent on their pelvic measurements and I've been completely surprised by the results many times. Big girls with big butts don't always mean big pelvic measurements.

maybe a good reason to invite the neighbor's bull over more often. I like your scenario a lot better than when the neighbor's bull takes out a fence, and he is also a piece of cr*p bull. :) Incidentally, our pastures are all gated to our neighbors' pastures for times when their bulls or my bulls stray.

Lrj505":28qy18ww said:
If your using a black bull. I would not use solid red cows. Calves come out brown. Looks like my heard , until I sold the solid red cows. Kept Herefords. Get them pregnant and sell them. Double your money.
A HOMOzygous black bull will give all black calves. They may have a "brownish/redish" color as calves, but will turn out black - unless, there is a diluter gene in the mixture.
A HETEROzygous black bull will give you 50% black 50% reds.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":22i8jzwl said:
Lrj505":22i8jzwl said:
A HOMOzygous black bull will give all black calves. They may have a "brownish/redish" color as calves, but will turn out black - unless, there is a diluter gene in the mixture.
A HETEROzygous black bull will give you 50% black 50% reds.
Thank you Jeanne for that information , I am not very well versed in genetic terms. Our calving season has started again and so far 1 red bull and 1 black . So now I know what to call my bull, other than shytehead :lol:

Here is a red angus cow X black angus bull calf 10 weeks old. Can't decide what color he is.

He is black. Most heteroblack calves are that color until they shed out their baby hair. Generally, the nose, eyes, tail are more black looking than the body. That is a common color in my herd of calves, LOL

Thanks. I ask a lot of questions. Trying to learn all I can. My dad does it do it old school , cheap cows, black bull and sell is March. It works for him because he has 1,000 acres of hay and they eat left over hay. Question, how do Sim-Angus calves turn out ? Weaning weights? I have a few big angus cows and thinking of ai one and keeping it if it's a bull. Thanks

Sim-Angus is about the hottest crossbreds around. They make great feedlot calves and super momma cows. Should increase weaning weights. If you keep the steers to finish for freezer, you will be able to get great marbling with less outside fat.