Replacement windows?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Anyone had any windows replaced? We have to replace some from the storm damage and have been trying to research different ones online. Most of the ones we have found around here don't get good reviews. The ones that do don't seem to be sold in my area.

We looked at buying some at Lowes and installing ourself, saves about $150 a window installing their Thermastar by Pella window which is single hung compared to the cheapest quote I had from a window place to install Alside double hung windows.

Just curious if anyone had window work done and had thoughts on any brand?

We replaced every window and exterior door here about 5 years ago. We bought the product from Home Depot (similar to Lowe's). I know there was one window that we had to have done "custom' -- a weird size. Then we had a local guy -- who doesn't move fast but does everything precision -- install them. Probably the best investment we ever made.

We put in Certainteed brand about ten years ago and have been pleased with them.
fitz

Lowes or home depot can order the windows for you as replacement windows . If you have brick on your house you can measure inside the window jamb against the frame of the current windows . You can take out the old windows in pieces but the new window will slide in from the inside and you screw them through the frame . Keeps you from having to do brick work or painting if it's a siding house . You should be able to find a local contractor that is cheaper than the ones advertising window replacement on tv

When I remodeled our last home I installed Home Depot Vinal frames with Low "E" tinted glass. They were very good windows. I wish we had them in this new house.

Tom, SIL just had her windows replaced last fall. A local company did the work but the point is they used Andersen or Anderson Vinyl Windows. They look terrific and work really well.

lavacarancher":31v1e9yw said:
Tom, SIL just had her windows replaced last fall. A local company did the work but the point is they used Andersen or Anderson Vinyl Windows. They look terrific and work really well.
What we have. A little pricey but great products.

We had ours done last year with vinyl Low E. 19 windows 4200.00 the installer done it in one day. I usally do all work myself but the Wife insisted on having it done and after I priced the windows His labor was 1k. I feel that was fair and I didn't have a mess to deal with either. Win Win

We have Pellas in the new house and we are happy with them
Picked up a couple Jelwen (?) windows for sons room and those are doing alright.
Have one window that we had made for our bathroom window and I will never buy another window from that maker. When I closed it one night the top popped out and it cracked me across the nose. The maker is here in Montana.

We are trying to get squared away to build a new house, have Anderson windows picked out. The ones that are wood on the inside but clad on the outside to be maintenance free. We have talked to 3 different builders so far, they all said they have never had problems reported or any call backs with the Anderson windows.

We have vinyl windows in our old house, put them in about 15 years ago. The double hungs have held up just fine but we also installed a few "sliders" (like a sliding glass door) in the bigger openings and the vinyl just isn't strong enough for such a big, heavy window. All have had issues. So beware of those.

Latest posts