replacement heifer, choices

Help Support CattleToday:

joe

Reaction score
The Mrs. gets one more replacement heifer before breeding season this year. (I HAVE to limit her!) She is set on a Neutron 377 daughter, a Precision E161, or a 602C. If these were your 3 choices, which would you pick, and why?

This probably won't help you much but I can't see choosing my replacement heifers by what bull sired them. I would choose them the same way I do now, with my eyeball. I would take a good close look and figure which one I like best and buy that one. Old fashioned maybe but it works for me.

joe":cdfbwgkm said:
The Mrs. gets one more replacement heifer before breeding season this year. (I HAVE to limit her!) She is set on a Neutron 377 daughter, a Precision E161, or a 602C. If these were your 3 choices, which would you pick, and why?

This just isn't enough info to make a decision. Dam's pedigree and production, their own performance, EPDs, looks, disposition..... Which one do you like and why?

I saw on some web site where Precision E161 straws were selling for $200 each. As far as your choices, not seeing any of them....602C usually has good depth, Neutron 377, I believe has a pretty high yearling EPD, and all I know of Precision is around here it is pretty hot for show heifers, and of course the price of the semen. You mentioned LaGrand in another post awhile back, I believe they have a Precision son that they have on their web site for semen sales. Their bull (and a few heifers)sale is in April. http://www.lagrandranch.com
But without actually seeing these heifers, it's probably going to be hard for anyone to tell you which one to buy. Let her have all 3 ;-) !

I saw on some web site where Precision E161 straws were selling for $200 each
The straws on the web site that Jake posted for embryos and semen had it for $300. But, it's like Dee said they all have their good points. The Mrs. has been to look at these 3 heifers quite a few times, frankly I am bored with looking at them! I gave her my opinions... the precision is a bit shallow on depth, low milk EPD, low scrotal, Neutron is a bit flighty, alot of leg, but not alot of depth...etc. They are from 3 different farms also. I just want her to make up her mind, and I hate to choose incase it doesn't perform to her expectations, you know who will get the blame. It sounds as tho that Precision may be well sought after, and maybe worth the money?

Dee, where in SD are you located? I thought you had said SE corner...we may be neighbors!?!?

Latest posts