• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Renting Hay Ground on Shares ?

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
The grain gurus think prices have bottomed and we are on an upward trend. Who knows...

Meanwhile back at the farm - - some land owners are tired of showing a loss on Sch F and are running out of cash. So, they are looking for renters. What would you propose for shares on hay ground that yields 1 to 2 tons per acre w/o fertilizer?

kilroy60

Reaction score
Land owner will spray and fertilize the land and the renter has to cut and roll. Renter pays land owner $11.00 per roll per cutting.

dcarp

Reaction score
I'm leasing some hay fields here in SE TX. I pay $20 per acre for a year lease. I pay for weed spray, fertilizer and I do all the haying work. I keep 100% of what hay I produce. Amount may vary but that's a typical lease in this area. Most land owners that are not into cattle or crops just want a lease to keep the ag tax exemption. Taxes on 7 acres without ag exemption are higher than 100 acres with ag exemption.

Latest posts