Renovating Black Gumbo Soil ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I purchased a farm that has a low side to almost every field. There is enough slope in most places but the soil on these low sides is a heavy clay where the alfafa and the improved fescue dies out in a couple years and then it comes back to bluegrass and dandelions. We got 5 3/4" of rain in one shot and now this "bluegrass" is yellow. I am going to re fence this fall and pasture these low sides. I was also thinking about plowing it up and putting it into reed canary, but that will be a 3 year project... The alternative is to feed hay on it after freeze up to avoid compaction and/or inter seed red clover.

Any renovation tips for gumbo soil?

The low stuff I would just put down some millet or any other grain/grass that tolerates wet feet.

Stocker Steve
Land here is terraced from practices dating back 70+ years. Modern farming doesn't adapt readily to these ditches/mounds and the farmers remove them. In place today most of these hillsides have waterways. These waterways are typically seeded to KY31 fescue. I have seen KY31 tolerate submerged conditions for 10 days and still survive. Blend in some legumes with KY31 and learn to work with the endophyte would be my approach.

john250":384ifgw2 said:
Steve,
I have a little reed canarygrass. I don't want anymore. Pretty coarse feed/pasture. Sorta like grazing a pine plantation. TDN sorta goes away.

How tall is it before you graze it?

Reed canary and red clover work well. If water stands red clover not so much. Garrison foxtail works, but slow to establish.

Latest posts