Renovating after Soybeans ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
Most grow corn/alfalfa in a rotation here. I now have control of some rundown hay ground that I plan to renovate it into a clover grass pasture mix. On paper the most economical (other than mob grazing) way to do this is a year of soybeans (only need to add K), and then disk/minimum till before seeding the pasture mix. Any comments or tips ? Any reason to consider a year of corn ?

If you start off with just soybeans then you are just adding N with nothing to eat it so to speak. When you then plant clover you have a legume with nothing to do. So it actually does not produce N if there is already plenty available. The grass would thrive off of the N produced by the soybeans just as the legume corn rotation does. Just go ahead and plant your clover grass mix and save the unneeded expense.

novatech":31uq6vr8 said:
If you start off with just soybeans then you are just adding N with nothing to eat it so to speak. When you then plant clover you have a legume with nothing to do. So it actually does not produce N if there is already plenty available. The grass would thrive off of the N produced by the soybeans just as the legume corn rotation does. Just go ahead and plant your clover grass mix and save the unneeded expense.

I under seed oats with a pasture mix, so I was expecting the soybean legume to feed the oats and avoid applying any N. Does this make sense?

Latest posts