Registered heifer wont take

Help Support CattleToday:

D_skro

Reaction score
I have a two year old registered ayrshire heifer that wont take, we have Ai'ed her 5 or 6 times and today I noticed blood on her tail. The last time we bred her th Ai guy was shure she would take, He said it was the best she was in heat for him. Do you think I should have the vet come and check her out, or just get a bull for her?

I'd have her palpated first to make sure she actually has everything inside that she needs and that she doesn't have cysts, scarring, or an infection, and then evaluate your:

*mineral program
*nutrition program
*vaccination program
*heat detection program
*AI rep and breeding protocol

and if there's no flaws there, you have to decide if she's valuable enough to you to get a bull and keep trying to get her bred, or just ship her.

when was she AI'd. we had one had blood on tail a couple days after AI'd, and she took, had a calf 9 months later (no bull anywhere around so it was the AI). If it was soon after I'd wait before doing anything. Donna

Hello. I'm fairly new to the cattle raising (have been mainly a horseman) and new to the forum. Has anyone had any success breeding a heifer/heifer twin?

Dskro, Since you have done that 5 times.. I would get a vet to come out. If not.. then get a bull, unless its the only calf you have that you are trying to breed.
As far as the twin heifer being bred question... I have had several twins from my beefmaster cows.. and now they are both having their own calves, from my Limousin bull.

cowrunner":3frdmxwg said:
Hello. I'm fairly new to the cattle raising (have been mainly a horseman) and new to the forum. Has anyone had any success breeding a heifer/heifer twin?
Same sex twins have NO breeding problem - other than they may be slower developing if they are smaller than their contemporaries.
With a heifer/bull set of twins, the hormones get "shared" and the heifer ends up with too many male hormones. Does not affect the bull. "Occasionally" a heifer from a mixed set of twins IS a breeder. I think it only happens when the fetuses do not share the same sac.

I have a registered heifer that wouldn't take with A.I. (tried many times), had the vet check her-she was normal, tried hormones - didn't work, and then took her to a bull where she took and now she's due in April (she'll be 3) so I would try a bull before you give up.

If she hasn't settled after 5 or 6 times with the AI tech she is not going to fit the bill for being an easy keeper. Feed her until you can set a date with the butcher.

J+

cowrunner":2iuu6j9p said:

We've had a number of heifer/heifer twins over the years, and never had a problem with any of them settling. I suspect you might be thinking of freemartin heifers - the usual result of bull/heifer twins.

Whether she is registered or commercial does not have anything to do with this subject. If you have an AI program and she won't breed AI, she does not FIT your program. I would never give them that many chances.
Blood on the tail simply means that she cycled recently. Whether she is bred or not, she will pass a small amount of blood after every cycle. Sometimes it is so insignificant, you won't notice. But it is normal.
Not being able to breed her AI has nothing to do with being an "easy keeper". That term refers to her ability to stay in good body condition without being pampered.
Many times, an animal that won't "take" with AI will easily breed with a bull. I would get her with a bull, and if she settles, she MAY be able to bred AI next year after calving. If after 2-3 tries - I would ship her or find a buyer that uses a bull & is willing to purchase a low fertility female.

I watched her the next day and she was passing a lot of big bloody peaces, did she take and abort her calf? Approximately how long after her period will a cow come into heat?

She may be bred...or it may be you are not in sync with her cycle... in other words it depends on you confidence in AI ing..

If she is not bred, it could be ai error, cow error or technician error... what ever the case...she should be bred after all the effort.

my earlier post stated she could be bred...Donna

I had the vet come and check her out and he said she was fine.
I think it is my AI guy he is my naber that I bought her from so I had him do it, he does all of his 65 head with no problem, but i found out that he just grabs a straw of seman and bringes it from his farm wraped in a towel he lives a 1 1/2 miles away so i think that is what is doing it.

D_skro":3gf9veqy said:
I had the vet come and check her out and he said she was fine.
I think it is my AI guy he is my naber that I bought her from so I had him do it, he does all of his 65 head with no problem, but i found out that he just grabs a straw of seman and bringes it from his farm wraped in a towel he lives a 1 1/2 miles away so i think that is what is doing it.

That may be it but I doubt it. I've hauled hauled semen to different places the same way and haven't had a problem. I've had semen in a shirt pocket for over an hour and still had them settle. Heat detection and timing of breeding are the more likely culprits. But, there are some cows that for some reason just don;t seem to settle to AI. Never have heard a reliable reason why, but it does happen.

dun

Latest posts