Redfish

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
HC and JSC didn't have much time yesterday due to grandkid events.
Son and I hit one of my old spots made a couple of drifts put nine in the boat.
We had couple of throw backs out of the nine that were 18 to 20 inches.
I kept 3 running 4 to 6 pounds son had 3 about the same.
On the last drift we both had fish on I was fighting a 5 to 6 pounder son
said this one must be small not fighting very hard.
His fish got up by the boat and it was a hoss it decided it was time to leave the
skinny water for the channel. Boy never slowed him down when he was about
out of line stuck his thumb in that Garcia 5000.
That Red straightened the hook on that Johnson Sprite spoon.
I would guess him in the twenty pound range by what I got to see.

LRTX1":2wbg08ho said:
Sounds like a good day CB. I love me some reds.

This is a good spot fished it with my dad as a kid .
On high tide you have two to three foot of water over oyster reef.
The channel is about 100 yards off runs about 20 feet deep.
I have never got one at this spot over ten pounds in the boat.
Nine times out of ten when they head for the channel and fall off the reef will cut your line.

That's kind of how landlocked Stripers are. 2-5 pounds is a blast, from there upto about 15 is interesting but not that much fun, bigger then that and it's like pulling in an old tire.

CB what is the slot size and limit over there. They moved our limit up to two, slot is still 18 to 27.

You might need to go to a bigger set up to keep them bulls from those long runs. We have an inlet on the east coast here that produces a lot of 40-50 inch reds. Conventional inshore tackle won't hardly do nothing with them if your around anything.

Slot is 20 to 28 inches and we have a tag on the license for a bull.
Limit is three. I love messing with them on lighter tackle.
Don't laugh I am still using Shimano Bantam Mag 10's.

I use a few Abu Garcia 5500's. I just got a couple pflueger trion spinning reels, very smooth reels, drag seems nice and for 40 bucks I don't think I can go wrong if they hold up in salt.

Caustic Burno":2mjlsyqr said:
You fished East Galveston Bay much?
My brother has bought a boat and is looking for advice, depth charts, tutoring, fishing partners--whatever --so he can learn the bay before he retires May 31 next year.
All I know about the boat is that it originally started out on one of the Great Lakes---got outriggirs and all kinds of stuff I don't know does what.
Can you point him in the right direction?

greybeard":2gbt1tyr said:
Caustic Burno":2gbt1tyr said:
You fished East Galveston Bay much?
My brother has bought a boat and is looking for advice, depth charts, tutoring, fishing partners--whatever --so he can learn the bay before he retires May 31 next year.
All I know about the boat is that it originally started out on one of the Great Lakes---got outriggirs and all kinds of stuff I don't know does what.
Can you point him in the right direction?

I have fished the Galveston Bay complex all my life, sounds like he has more of an offshore rig
than a bay.
You got my number call anytime.

dun":1pbwysw8 said:
That's kind of how landlocked Stripers are. 2-5 pounds is a blast, from there upto about 15 is interesting but not that much fun, bigger then that and it's like pulling in an old tire.

When it comes to a fight a Red is ready willing and able no matter the size.
I don't care to eat them myself especially the bigger ones, the best ones to eat are illegal
to small for the slot limit.
Myself I prefer Speckled Trout, nothing gets my blood pumping like chasing trophy trout.

Brute 23":2etafcwn said:
Did you see the video of a shark nailing a big trout in West Bay? :D

No I didn't. I have seen it in real life, got my trout and mirrolure to boot.
Blacktips moved in us one time and if a trout broke the surface they had him.
Had them chase the trout all the way the boat and we would yank the trout in like tuna.
They weren't big about three foot long but lot's of them.

Brute 23":3g9y392n said:

Bet he had to clean out his waders.
Was wading the bars down near San Luis Pass water was clear we were mopping up on trout.
Looked down in the cut and seen a bull shark that looked big enough to eat the boat.
I got my butt back in the boat and that was my last wading trip.

Come fish in LA, we can keep 6 of them starting at 16" with only 1 allowed over 27". :) Bulls are fun to catch, but to much bloodline in them for me to eat. My grandfather holds the record for biggest redfish in my boat with a 42" 38# bull he caught back in 2004.

We fished east bay 2 weeks ago . Fishing was slow on the reefs . Picked up about 15 trout in 2 days . We did pretty good flounder fishing caught 13 keepers. We couldn't buy a bite on live bait . Caught all the trout on saltwater assassins . Flounder on yellow gulp

Latest posts